« Home | Someone needs to light a firecracker under my ass » | Political Ponderings » | Blue Genes » | Jaw. Clenched. » | Ahhh, the sweet smell of..wait..is that formaldehy... » | Scotch Irish Cop Dances With Harley on Concrete Fl... » | Mystery wristery » | Purged » | Costume Contest » | Karma for Playing Hooky » 

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 

The Sub Who Couldn't, the Students Who Wouldn't, and Elections That Barely Matter

The substitute who covered my classes Friday didn't trash the room. In fact, it was rather clean. She did something worse though.

On Thursday afternoon, the academic coach who writes the tests put copies of the next exam on my desk, thinking I would be there Friday morning to find them. The sub comes in, ignores the two giant, red boxes filled with worksheets that were under a printout with giant letters saying "SUBSTITUTE WORK," and gives the kids the test to work on as class work.

Did ya get that? She gave them the test. What the fk?? Now, I could understand this if there hadn't been other work available, or if it hadn't been so clearly labeled, or if she hadn't been trained on where to find sub work when she gets to a classroom, or if I hadn't called the assistant principal and told her there was "a ton" of work available, or if that assistant principal hadn't said, "Yeah, I saw it, and I showed it to your sub." I could understand it if none of those things were true, but they're all true. All of them. So please tell me why she still opted to give my students a packet of papers clearly labeled "8th grade exam 4"?????

I can't get over it.

The Reading Fair os coming up soon, and my kids get a total of 4 grades for it. The first thing was due last week, and the second thing is due tomorrow. Today when I reminded them of it, they acted like this was the first they'd heard about it. It was ridiculous. They acted so damn clueless. During the afternoon announcements they were informed that I would be at the public library from 7 to 8 to help anyone who needed it. The neighborhoods most of them live in aren't too far from the library, and some of them talk about going there sometimes, so I know it's not a big deal for them to get there. In fact, several of them stopped on their way to the buses to tell me they'd heard the announcement and would be there. Not a single student showed up. I sat there and graded homework for a while, then took advantage of the wireless internet.

I may have to start going to the library on a regular basis. It's easier to spread out on one of those big tables, and I didn't lose my ink pen a single time while I was grading homework-- unlike when I do it at home. I can connect to the internet and enter my grades into Gradebook and everything. And at least I'll be available to my students after school, even if none of them ever takes advantage of it. If you're a teacher, you know what language I'm speakin'. CYA.

Test scores. So very low. Teacher. So very baffled.

It's election night. I think the two races I care about are going to turn out how I want. Barbour for Gov., and a friend of mine is running for Constable. Looks good so far. I could care less about most of the other races. One good ol' boy is about the same as another.

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health