« Home | Political Ponderings » | Blue Genes » | Jaw. Clenched. » | Ahhh, the sweet smell of..wait..is that formaldehy... » | Scotch Irish Cop Dances With Harley on Concrete Fl... » | Mystery wristery » | Purged » | Costume Contest » | Karma for Playing Hooky » | Free time and the baggage that comes with it » 

Monday, November 05, 2007 

Someone needs to light a firecracker under my ass

Today I have to go back to work, and I have no idea what we'll be doing in class. They failed the last test, so I need to reteach that material, but they're so far behind that I don't know how many more objectives I can reteach this year. Maybe I'll just go over it and then give them copies of the test they failed and make them work on it in groups or something. I dunno.

Funny how running from your problems never really puts any distance between you and them.

Getting up at 5 a.m. sucks a big one. I got up extra early thinking perhaps I would use the time to prepare for the day. Turns out the only way I know how to prepare is to drink extra coffee. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd better get there earlier than usual in case my room is trashed.

Here's an uplifting article for you. It's in the Washington Post, and a friend of mine told me about it.

By the Mississippi Delta, A Whole School Left Behind.
Challenged by poverty, indifferent parents and transient teacher ranks, Como Elementary scored dismally on Mississippi's annual school tests.

I don't work there or live there, but Como is about 30 minutes from my home town of Nesbit, and I think some of the things they say about it in the article are true statewide, or almost statewide.

Today I'm going to focus on the kids who I think are listening. There are three of them. Maybe there are more.

Heart-breaking and infuriating. Holley

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health