« Home | Stealing Thunder » | Free: 2 dogs, 2 cats. Barely used. » | Plans » | Gremlins in my Ceiling » | The Sub Who Couldn't, the Students Who Wouldn't, a... » | Someone needs to light a firecracker under my ass » | Political Ponderings » | Blue Genes » | Jaw. Clenched. » | Ahhh, the sweet smell of..wait..is that formaldehy... » 

Friday, November 16, 2007 

Are you MAD?!?

Yesterday I got screamed at by an angry parent for 30 minutes straight. Her child, who is 15 years old and 7 months pregnant, apparently made some accusations, and half the administration was present for this meeting. I never found out exactly what the accusation was that prompted all that admin presence, because the student backed out once we were all in the room to address her imaginary crisis. That combined with the fact that the parent could not manage to utter a single coherent sentence kinda kept me in the dark.

That didn't stop the mother from going off. She kept saying she had a problem with the conversations that took place between myself and her daughter. Conversations? I don't really have extended conversations with students. It's usually me telling them to do something, or answering questions, etc. Don't get me wrong-- I talk to my kids. Sometimes they have things to say, and I listen and show an interest. But she made it sound like I had said something inappropriate, which I never have and never will. To a student, anyway. The whole thing was ridiculous. Every time I started to say something, the principal touched me on the back of the arm, as if to say, "Just shut up." Then I would shut up, and as soon as I started to open my mouth again, he'd give me the "Can it" signal again, so I'd stifle. Finally I just leaned back in my chair and listened to the woman go off. She was absolutely crazy.

Finally, one of the assistant principals jumped in and got my back. He put the child and the parent both in their respective places. Then the social worker told her that her problem was that she had a problem with authority, and that even if she felt what a teacher is saying is wrong, she has to do it. She actually said the words, "If Mrs. DeadpanAnn tells you to walk off a bridge, you better start walking."

Wow. Now I see why the principal wanted me to just shut up. They've got my back. It's ssssssooooo nice!!!

Awesome! That should make your weekend all the more enjoyable!!

Wow, by "got your back" you've been used to that meaning having a knife stuck in it. What a nice change.

My favorite principal of all time used to bring the student to the classroom door, say, "Mrs. Hillbilly Mom, Susan disagrees with what you wrote on her discipline notice. Susan, tell Mrs. Hillbilly Mom what you told me." Then Susan, put on the spot, would mumble some outrageous lie while looking at the floor. Mr. Principal would say, "Mrs. Hillbilly Mom, is that the way it happened?" I would say no, he would say, "I didn't think so," Susan would start to mouth, and my beloved Mr. Principal would say LOUDLY and STERNLY, "Shut your mouth! You had your chance. Go back down to the office and wait for me."

He's our superintendent now. He's got my back.

HM-- that rooooooockkkkks

Bloody hell, that's great! Not only did you get to enjoy some weapons-grade crazy, you didn't even have to pay admission. For fun, you need to work "walking off a bridge" into some test questions for the rest of the year.

Stew-- that's a great idea!!!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health