« Home | The Sub Who Couldn't, the Students Who Wouldn't, a... » | Someone needs to light a firecracker under my ass » | Political Ponderings » | Blue Genes » | Jaw. Clenched. » | Ahhh, the sweet smell of..wait..is that formaldehy... » | Scotch Irish Cop Dances With Harley on Concrete Fl... » | Mystery wristery » | Purged » | Costume Contest » 

Thursday, November 08, 2007 

Gremlins in my Ceiling

The ceiling fan in the living room is either possessed by a fickle force, or there's some kind of electrical problem that we need to look into. That fan and the lights on it stopped working for no apparent reason about 3 years ago. We never replaced it because we are rednecks, and we don't fix things when they break there are two other perfectly functional lights in the living room, so we didn't really miss it. This morning when I flipped the switch to turn on the other lights, I accidentally hit the switch to the ceiling fan. The light came on. I thought TH may have worked some manly magic on it yesterday, so I tried turning on the fan, but no dice. That was about forty minutes ago. Just a second ago, I heard the fan cut on. I leaned over to look into the living room, and sure enough, the fan was starting to turn.

Hmm. Should we be concerned about a fire?? Methinks I should tell TH about this asap.

I wouldn't completely rule out a chance of a fire, but (from my experience) I have never had one.

I am a fan guy. I MUST have moving air, at all times. The ceiling fan in my bedroom gave up the ghost years back. But it went througha phase like that which you describe - turn it on, wait, forget about it, then it starts up after 30 minutes. It's more than likely chock full o'dust and difficult to clean.

And I guess now you have labeled me a redneck, as I have not replaced mine. (But the real reason is that it did not generate enough white noise, which I also require to sleep - hence 2 other fans in my bedroom running constantly.)

The exhaust fan on my stove is like that - you turn it on, and it hums for a while, then, finally, the fan starts to turn. No sign of fire so far.

I have to have a fan on when I sleep, too, but only for the noise. I HATE to have one actually blowing ON me, but I've gotta have the noise.

Meany,
Check and see if there is a round switch on the unit that acts as a sensitivity dampner. I had one that would go on and off randomly. My friend the handyman took one look at it, turned up the knob and I never had another issue with it again.

Congrats on the Sony laptop BTW. You have chosen wisely.

mj

My friend corrected me and told me it was a reostat controller on the fan.

MJ

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health