« Home | Cleanin out my closet » | Why the Insurance Company Hates My Guts » | Must Have Down Time » | Plans » | Well THAT was awkward! » | Pookie's Peanuts » | Sticky Notes » | Got Skillz? » | The Mundane Details of My Mundane Day » | Guilt by association? Let's hope not. » 

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 

Bureaucratic Kudzu

It must've been about two months ago that I first heard someone use the term "bureaucratic kudzu." As soon as they said that, I knew exactly what they were talking about.

kudzu

It was brought here because someone with good intentions thought it would be of use, but now it's just a giant pain in the ass. It only needs to get one little root in the ground before it can consume everything in its path. You'll trip and fall if you try to walk through it, because it is one giant, unnavigable tangle, and there's basically no way to kill it off once it gets a foothold.

Bureaucratic kudzu is the perfect way to describe lots of things. Insurance companies are especially skilled at growing kudzu on and along pathways that should be straight and pleasant. They didn't bring it in to stop erosion, though. They brought it in just to trip you up and wear you out.

School districts have their own bureaucratic kudzu, and I've been wading through some of it today. So far, navigating this particular sea of kudzu has been easier than expected. At least it's there because of good intentions, even if it does slow me down. There's even a guide to walk me through it, so I haven't even fallen on my face yet. I didn't have that benefit with my previous job. It was every teacher for herself up there, where kudzu is second only to cotton.

So far, I like my new employer. There has been lots of training and preparation, and the people seem genuinely willing, ready, and able to offer support to the teachers. The proof will be in the pudding, if I can offer one more cliché, but I'm almost as hopeful as I would be if I hadn't already experienced a year of insolence, abuse, checks that are still in the mail, and flying desks.

Here we go, folks!

Will that be kudzu pudding?

Good luck!

Damnyankee-- Kudzu pudding. I like that.

I think I'm going to be renaming my 501 Handbook, I shall call it Kudzu-01. The 501 is my handy-dandy government red-tape manual in which every rule has at least 3 rules that state the opposite.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health