« Home | Awake Against My Will » | Insert Clever Title Here » | Off Again » | I'm a Winner! » | We Made It. » | Land of Fruit and Nuts » | San Francisco, Part 1 » | San Francisco Update » | What I get for being impatient » | My son, the tapeworm » 

Friday, July 11, 2008 

Pranks and Cankles

Today was the last day of the workshop. It was a half-day and I got back to Hattiesburg at about 4:30. I got to know some of my colleagues a lot better this week, and we had some fun. The highlight of the trip was when Mr. L carved "USM" into some freshly poured concrete on the Ole Miss campus, a rebellious move that pretty much made him my hero. Unfortunately, when we returned the next morning, the workers had already covered it up with a layer of fresh concrete, which was funnier than the original prank in some ways. No sense of humor whatsoever, I tell ya!

I am glad to be able to put my feet up and avoid junk food. My ankles have been as big around as my calves the last 3 or 4 nights, despite my efforts to avoid sodas and salty foods. I guess when I return to work, I am just going to have cankles all the time. Maybe I can put my feet up on a chair a few minutes a day, but it won't be easy. And there's more than three months of this to go. Sheesh. I thought swelling of the ankles wasn't supposed to happen until the last month or two.

I could tell you about our visit to the National Civil Rights Museum, being squished in the back seat of an under-air-conditioned van like a sardine for a realllllllly long time, or how I ended up paying $23 for a lunch that should've cost me $12 because someone in our group skipped out on paying their part of the bill, but I'm not in the mood. All I want to do is sit on my ass with my feet in an elevated position, right after I chew an entire roll of Rolaids.

My gal Hillary says that a wardrobe of 5 pantsuits, in black, navy, yellow, cobalt, and green, will solve your cankle problem. Oh, they won't go away, but people will reduce their comments about your cankles by 50 percent.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health