« Home | Off Again » | I'm a Winner! » | We Made It. » | Land of Fruit and Nuts » | San Francisco, Part 1 » | San Francisco Update » | What I get for being impatient » | My son, the tapeworm » | Sannnnn Franciscooooo » | The in-grown toenail digging Asian woman, and the ... » 

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 

Insert Clever Title Here

The conference is going okay so far, with one day down and four to go. The history people decided to take a field trip to the MLK Museum in Memphis on Thursday, and our group hopped on board, so really there are only three days to go. I don't consider visiting a museum to be much work, although I am supposed to be learning something about rhetoric while I'm there.

Last night we went to eat in town, then stopped at Square Books before coming back to the hotel. My colleagues saw someone semi-famous in the book store. I didn't recognize her, although the voice was familiar, but she apparently played one of the girlfriends in Bio Dome, among other roles. Of the three movies my coworkers listed, Bio Dome was the only one I had seen. You know, because it's such a fantastic film. Them's the kind of movie stars we have around here, although I think we can claim Morgan Freeman. Having him on our roster brings some balance, what with Delta Burke and Gerald McRaney also being on the list.

We also had a little fun in the restaurant. Mr. L and Ms. J walked in first to check it out while the rest of us stood around on the sidewalk, lollygagging. Now, Mr. L is a white guy, and Ms. J is a black lady, and apparently the town of Oxford is not prepared for interracial couples, because according to them a needle slid off a record somewhere and everyone stopped and stared at them when they entered the restaurant together. So we discussed that loudly at our table and had a few good laughs at the Oxfordites' expense.

I like Mr. L because he hates Ole Miss. And he makes fart jokes, but mostly because he rags on Ole Miss nonstop.

The workshop itself is a bit bland. There are 10 people in my group including the leader. Two are from Petal, School District of Dreams. Another is from a suburb of Pittsburg where a large portion of the students aspire to go to ivy league schools. How bout that? She's just a Delta girl though, so she isn't too haughty about having won the teacher job lottery.

Yesterday the class-- or whatever you want to call it-- started out kinda slow. I just thought someone in that room needed to get laid or something, because everyone was so reserved and prim and proper. Imagine all the pretense that is associated with English people, then pack that into a small classroom and divide it among 8 teachers. I say 8 and not 10 because my colleague and myself are exempt, of course. It was a tad uptight. Lots of smug in the air. But thank God they must've put something in the food because everyone returned from lunch a little more relaxed.

My primary complaint is not having to read test questions and analyze them, having to pretend that I've read most of the books in a long list of classics, or even that the lady next to me will not SHUT THE HELL UP ALREADY. I can deal with all that, but my feet and ankles are starting to swell when I sit for too long, so I'm starting to get uncomfortable. I hate getting up and leaving the room during these things, but I've had to do that a lot, despite the well-spaced frequent stretch breaks.

More later. I have to put on makeup and go meet the posse.

Sounds FUuuuuuuuun. Oh wouldn't the English teachers have a HAY DAY with this comment and some red ink. hahaha. Well, it's Oxford, what're you gonna do? I heard Renee Zellwegger is there for the summer. You should be able to spot her as the only woman in Oxford that weighs under 100 pounds. Get me her autograph so I can Ebay it.

Well, I like Mr. L, too. Anybody that's down on Ole Miss is fine by me.

Are you still drinking cokes? I know my doctor said they have a lot of salt and made me get off of them when I was pregnant. Of course, I was working all day and going to night school at the time, sitting sideways in my desk by final exams, so my feet had plenty of gravity to deal with on class night.

It didn't help that my drink of choice was (and still is) Mountain Dew, so not only did I have to get off them because of the salt, but the caffeine. Suddenly abstaining from caffeine is NOT pleasant. My head hurt so bad I wanted to cut it off, so I would never recommend to anyone that they get off caffeine anyway but S L O W L Y and very G R A D U A L L Y.

In my mind, I am giving this post the clever title of: Driving Miss Crazy.

That is because you have Morgan Freeman, and because I call you 'Miss Ann'. And in the Junie B. Jones books, Junie B. referred to her teacher only as 'Mrs.', and if it's good enough for Junie B. Jones, it's good enough for me.

I'm not calling YOU crazy, mind you, but saying that the lady who talks enough to make your ankles swell is making you crazy.

I'm thinking of chucking the whole teaching thingy, and starting a new career as a blog post titler. But we must never make that a category on SNL Jeopardy for the fake Sean Connery to choose.

Sounds like you saw Joey Lauren Adams. The internets say she moved to Oxford a while back, and she does have a distinctive voice. She played the female lead in "Big Daddy," and a truckload of Kevin Smith movies. She was also in "The Break Up," as well as the Oscar-snubbed "Bio Dome."

Sure, she's no Major Dad or anything, but hey, that's a genuine celebrity story you've got there. Still, I bet she's telling all her friends about how she might have seen a famous blogger in the store...

GUESS who my friend saw at Starbucks in Southaven today? Not that we're trying to one- up you, but: ROBERT PLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSC-- Sweet about Robert Plant.

DY-- I'm drinking some diet coke, not much. Today I drank less than I have ever drank in a day AND I tried to avoid other sources of salt, and my feet were worse than they've ever been, so I'm not convinced the cokes are doing it.

HM-- Nice title. I'd hire ya.

SH-- Yep. That's her. One of the guys thought of her name later.

I once saw Jesse Jackson in the Dallas airport.

I should have cut HIS d**k off!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health