« Home | Plan the "Do" Out » | Confessions of an American Ice Cream Eater » | Ol' ugly » | It's too early for this being awake stuff. » | Random Thought Whenever » | Home Making » | SuperTeacher » | Shitty Day » | Morning. » | Nobody said life was fair. » 

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 

Sleep is more valuable in the morning

I have no exciting stories to tell right now. No tales of trips to see self-proclaimed D-listers, no lottery jackpots, no trivia championships. The only news right now is that I am so very, very exhausted. I stayed up late last night, and I'm paying for it. What was I doing, you ask? Why, playing chess, of course. With myself. On the computer. Yes, that's right. I played with myself on the computer.

I won.

Last night I started feeling kind of shitty and thought for a moment that the dreaded flu might be upon me. My face got hot and I was having chills, and I had a headache. My stomach had been upset off and on throughout the afternoon. Don't get me wrong-- I don't want the flu. But right now, as I sit in my bed in the still-dark, having already slept 30 minutes later than usual and gulped down two full cups of coffee within seconds of waking, I'd trade a few vomiting/shaking/aching moments later for a few more hours of sleep right now. Then again, I never was good at planning ahead.

Yesterday there was a tornado warning during school hours, which means that instead of teaching and catching up my 7th graders, who are unspeakably behind, they spent the entire time hunkered down along the walls while I stood at the window scanning the skies. The clouds were swirling and dipping down and then going back up.

That last line of bad storms that came through the state about a week ago did a lot of damage to Southaven and the other areas around my sister and parents. She sent me pics the other day, and I couldn't even recognize the mall and a few other landmarks. So with those images fresh in my mind, those swirling clouds were very scary. I started wondering what it would be like if one actually hit the building. We're in a classroom with 25 metal chairs, 14 small tables, and at least an honest-to-God million other loose objects of various shapes and sizes. The tornado wouldn't have to get very close to kill us all with flying crap.

Tornados suck almost as bad as getting up before the sun.

Reminds me of school buses. All cars have to be equipped with seatbelts, but I remember riding on our school bus and bouncing around on those old gravel roads. Not only were there no seatbelts, the tops of each seat had a metal bar to hold onto. I can only imagine what one of those metal bars would feel like in an accident if your head came down on one.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health