« Home | SuperTeacher » | Shitty Day » | Morning. » | Nobody said life was fair. » | Got Snot? » | Sick Idiot. » | Little Johnny Smells Like Cheech » | Yellow Tears » | The Sperm Embargo » | Dog blogging, coffee addiction » 

Sunday, February 03, 2008 

Home Making

Our bedroom and bathroom have been de-uglified. The tassles wallpaper is gone, the teal and green flowers in the bathroom are covered up, and yesterday after a trip to the Bed & Bath place and Target, I completely redecorated it. I feel so....Martha Stewarty. Except in a cool way.

We paid the painter $500 to do the work. We paid about $150 for the paint and primer. I spent $120 on a new comforter set and a pretty picture to hang, plus a few bucks for new light switch covers, etc. I spent another $40ish on bath rugs and other thingies. I plan to spend another $20-30 on a new shower curtain as soon as I find one that looks good and fits a stall shower and doesn't cost $50.

So all total our project should add up to about $800-ish. That's a lot of money, but I think I got at least a thousand dollars' worth of joy out of it last night just lying in bed with the lights on for an hour thinking about how very close to perfect it was, and how nice it is for the tassles to be gone forever.

If we can do the same thing in the rest of the house, this place will be looking good, and will also be much more marketable. It'd be nice to know that we could sell the house if we needed to. Not only are they talking about laying people off, but they already cut out the retirement plans and cut out overtime and almost everyone took a pay cut, so Tim's job is sucking more and looking less secure every day. The next closest hospital is in Jackson or Biloxi, but I doubt he'd be able to do any better there since it's in the same state and will have the same funding issues. The idea of going out of state becomes more appealing every time FGH does something take a little bit of our money away.

Anyway I hope we can paint the hallway and the living room and entry way next. Either that or re-screen the back porch. That's probably the trashiest looking thing around here right now, but it may also be the hardest to fix-- partly because there's a giant hot tub in there. It's got to be moved out before we can re-screen the patio, I think, and I can't see how it ever fit through the door in the first place. It's in the way though. It's pushed up against the wall, so I don't know how you could work with it in there. It also takes up half the space on the patio and I think it would be nicer if it was just empty with some patio furniture and some plants or something. We don't use the hot tub anyway. It works fine but hasn't been filled in about two years because I don't like trying to keep it clean, and it runs the electric bill up. So right now it's basically a giant table where I pile things.

Anyone want to buy a hot tub? And move it?

Well, this IS the south after all. You could always fill that thing with dirt and plant tomatoes in it. Instant garden!

That's what toilets are for.

While you're fixing the place up, be sure to paint some rocks and/or old tires white and place them strategically around the yard with flowers in and around them.

Oh, and no house is complete without either a couch or a freezer on the porch - or both.

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I already have one Free Hairwad Hot Tub. It smells like old people.

While you're painting the tires and rocks, be sure to paint the bottom half of your tree trunks white, as well.

I remember when everyone used to do that. Why did they do it? I remember asking that when I was a kid and someone told me it had something to do with tricking insects because they couldn't see white or something.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health