« Home | The Have Nots » | Drugs are bad, umkay? » | Sleep is more valuable in the morning » | Plan the "Do" Out » | Confessions of an American Ice Cream Eater » | Ol' ugly » | It's too early for this being awake stuff. » | Random Thought Whenever » | Home Making » | SuperTeacher » 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 

Hire Power

Yesterday was easy. I had professional development all day, and while I wasn't looking forward to it, it turned out to be a blessing. I got to go in about an hour later than usual, we never sat in the room for longer than an hour without a break, we got an hour and a half for lunch, and we got out at 2:00. Oh yeah, and I learned some stuff. Today I'm gonna be suffering after being spoiled like that. It's back to normal, which means I have to be there no later than 7:45, have kids until 4:00, and on Tuesdays and Wednesdays I have to stay for various bullshit meetings until at least 5:15. The Wednesday meeting is especially unpleasant, because that's when the boss man comes out to tell us all what pieces of shit we are. One day someone's gonna lose it and that meeting's not going to end well. The only way most people get through it is by pretending they are somewhere else. I am already planning to stare at the ceiling and make a shopping list in my head. I used to listen intently and ask myself what I could do to improve, and I would always leave the meeting feeling worse than when I went in. Then I realized that it's not about me. It's about him and his once a week opportunity to make someone feel worse than he does. So now I just go to my happy place.

I reckon I'll be there next year unless a job falls into my lap. I might sniff around to see what's available, but I'm not motivated enough to really hunt for a new job. It feels like I've been hunting for a job for the last 3 years. By the time this school year ends, I might be more motivated to look, but right now the idea of filling out applications and mailing off recommendation forms and writing out my philosophy of education for the fortieth time? Makes me sigh. So does the thought of being "the new teacher" yet again.

I'm getting back to work on my master's this summer, and I'm going to try to rack up some credits so I can get my degree instead of dragging it out for years. My hope is that it might make me more attractive to some of the districts that like to brag about being "level 5" and how the majority of their teachers have at least a master's. And who knows-- maybe I'll even learn something. That's what school used to be for, after all.

You know it's gonna be a shitty day when it's 6:11 a.m. and you spend the one hour you have to yourself bitching about how bad it's gonna suck. I need to go get in a more positive frame of mind before I leave for work, or I ain't gonna make it.

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health