« Home | Deep Sigh. » | Hire Power » | The Have Nots » | Drugs are bad, umkay? » | Sleep is more valuable in the morning » | Plan the "Do" Out » | Confessions of an American Ice Cream Eater » | Ol' ugly » | It's too early for this being awake stuff. » | Random Thought Whenever » 

Thursday, February 21, 2008 

Corn Flakes, Disappointment, and Divine Providence

A guy told me a cool story last night. One day in Vietnam, he was about to eat some corn flakes in the mess hall. He'd not had real milk in months-- only powdered milk, but that day he got a carton of real milk. He said his mouth was watering for it and he couldn't wait to pour some over his corn flakes and then drink the rest. So he goes and sits down with his carton of milk and his box of corn flakes, carefully pours the corn flakes into the bowl, and then opens the carton of milk. His mouth watering, he turns it upside down over the corn flakes, and a chunk of what used to be milk plops down into his bowl. No milk for him. He gets pissed off and stomps over to the little window where you return trays, slams his tray through it, and at that moment a mortar round detonates directly above the seat he had been sitting in to eat his corn flakes. If the milk hadn't been spoiled, he would've been sitting there enjoying his corn flakes and milk, and he would've been seriously injured if not killed.

"Sometimes God gives you spoiled milk for a reason," he said to me.

Not a bad story.

One day a couple of years ago, I was getting ready to go my annual gynecological appointment (I had this urge to open up to somebody). At the last minute, I went back into the house to get something, then headed out. A few miles out of town, I got behind this pickup truck that was going a consistent 55 MPH. I was getting antsy because I was afraid I was going to be late, but just then, a car that was coming from the other direction ran one tire off the road, and jerked the wheel to correct it and started fishtailing. The car came across directly into the path of the guy in the pickup and he broadsided it, knocking it into the ditch. I pulled off and called the ambulance, told the man in the pickup that I had (he was standing in the road with blood flowing down his face, trying to direct traffic. By now, several cars had stopped, so I went on to my appt. I found out when I got home that both people in the car were killed. All I could think of was that if I hadn't gone back into the house for those few minutes, it probably would have been ME involved in that accident.

I truly believe that there are many times that seemingly random things that happen (or don't happen) are not really random at all, but God "making our pathways straight."

I agree. I've got another one for ya.

There was a major ice storm in North Mississippi in 1994 (I think.) Tons of tree branches fell under the ice and because so many were weakened because of it, there was still the occasional falling branch for several years after that. Anyway, my parents' bed is positioned in their room so that her side of the bed is just a couple of feet from the wall, where there is a window. Right outside that window, about 15 feet away, is the tree line. One night my mom got up to go pee, and as she was about to walk past that window a broken limb shot straight through the window. It stabbed straight through the side of the mattress, and came so close to her that it went right across the front of her legs while she was standing up by the bed. If she'd been laying in the bed, it would've hurt her, and if she'd taken one more step forward when it came through the window, it would've REALLY hurt her. There was no other square foot of space that she could've been in that situation that would've been safe except for the one in which she was standing when it happened.

I still get chill bumps when I think about that!

Wow-- the word verification says "luvxxcam"!!! KINKY!

A guy names Greg who I work with was rabbit hunting in Alabama a week ago today with his brother-in-law and another guy. His brother-in-law shot his gun (he had buckshot in it) and one of the pellets hit Greg in his right eye and lodged behind it. They drove him to the nearest hospital, then that hospital sent him by ambulance to Tuscaloosa, the nearest trauma center. He was in ICU throughout the weekend, in critical condition. The doctor said that, unless his brain started swelling, or an infection set it, he wanted to just leave the pellet alone and not try to remove it.

The doctor said that, even though he lost the eye, had the pellet gone just a couple of centimeters to either the left or the right, he would have been killed instantly.

The older I get, the less I believe in coincidences.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health