« Home | DeadpanAnn Gets Knocked Up » | I've got a big fat juicy secret. » | Corn Flakes, Disappointment, and Divine Providence » | Deep Sigh. » | Hire Power » | The Have Nots » | Drugs are bad, umkay? » | Sleep is more valuable in the morning » | Plan the "Do" Out » | Confessions of an American Ice Cream Eater » 

Thursday, February 28, 2008 

Coffee Blues

Cutting back on caffeine is harder than it sounds. I'm having headaches because of it, and I can't tell if I'm exhausted because I'm pregnant or because I haven't had my normal caffeine. I know some people drink a pot of coffee a day and would claw your eyes out if you suggested they should cut back a tad, but I'm not a hardcore caffeine junkie. I drink two cups of coffee before work, then I probably drink a total of 2 Diet Cokes throughout the rest of the day-- sometimes a glass of tea at lunch. Now I'm down to almost nern.

Yesterday was rough. I was so tired I couldn't see straight, and that feeling lasted all day. I must've yawned every ten minutes. It felt like I was walking around in a dream or something because I was so sleepy. I had no coffee at all yesterday, unless you count a cup of DECAF on the way to work, and why would you?

Today I'm having one cup of coffee before work. Real coffee. I am taking the last few sips of it as we speak. Delicious, life giving nectar.

I feel guilty, but damn. I gotta make it through the day somehow. Everything I've read suggests that my one cup of coffee is just fine-- but then it follows that up with the "..but it would be best to cut out caffeine altogether" line. Okay, okay, I'll cut it out altogether. But I'm thinking it might not be smart to go cold turkey. And judging by what yesterday was like, I must be right. Cause have I mentioned that yesterday sucked?

So far I don't have any real pregnancy symptoms. My boobs feel weird, but that's about it. They're not nearly as sore as I've heard that they would be. I haven't puked or anything, though I've had a few brief moments where a wave of nausea came over me, but it wasn't that bad. It's pretty early, so that's probably going to start happening at some point in the near future. I have two zits on my face-- what the hell's that about? I'm almost 30 years old. And I'm having very vivid dreams, which I have been having since about a week before I found out I was knocked up.

In one such dream, the Governor of Mississippi touched me inappropriately. (I'll wait a minute while you swallow the vomit that just spurted up into the back of your throat.)

Last night's dream was really stressful. I was at work. It pisses me off a little when I dream about work. If I can't get away from that bullshit during my sleep, when can I? Anyway, I was at work and the kids were going Ca-RAY-zy. Of course I was being observed by a USM student who was sitting in the back corner taking notes as all hell broke loose. One kid reached under his desk and got a bowl of spaghetti which he then started pouring over his head. I'll just leave it at that, since that pretty much sums up how freakin' retarded this dream was.

The principal came in and watched my class for about fifteen minutes yesterday after he happened to walk by as I was confiscating a lip gloss from two little brats who need a good beating. They even acted a little stupid after he walked in, and I gave that girl the nastiest teacher look I've ever given anyone. Who the hell do they think they are? I mean damn! That shit makes me look totally incompetent!

It's not just the lip gloss gangsters that have been a pain. All the kids are really pissing me off lately. There's always something going on that's more important than what we're doing in class. It kills me to scan the room and see two or three lip glosses, mirrors, etc. And another kid will be rifling through a bag of "supplies" five minutes into class, having not made a single mark on his bell ringer because he has to find the .5 mm lead for his fancy pencil. Another one is sitting there doing nothing because he doesn't have a pencil at all. I shouldn't have to tell them every. single. fucking. day. to come to class prepared, or not to have bullshit out on their desks, or to start the bell ringer as soon as they walk in. It's almost March! None of the expectations have changed since August, and if someone came in to watch my room they'd think I hadn't taught them the first thing about routine.

Routine is not in their vocabulary. It's like there's something in their culture or their upbringing that just doesn't comprehend the concept of routine. It baffles me.

Well, I do have a routine, and at this point in the morning I'm supposed to be in the shower already.

Let's see: from my all of 23 weeks experience at being pregnant, I can share a couple of things (but not about the caffeine, 'cause I haven't been able to tolerate that for years). The zits will get worse and then better; mine improved around 7 or 8 weeks. The dreams are freaky but fun; I wrote most of mine down that I could remember. :) And if progesterone poisoning is giving you trouble, the thing that saved my hiney was ginger ale. I thought real ginger (like ginger chews) would do the trick, but I guess the carbonation + ginger in ginger ale was the combintation I needed. Yeah, I hated it at the time and REALLY hate it now, but it kept my tummy where I wanted it. Oh, and I lived on mashed potatoes for my first trimester. Yum!

Did I say congrats yet?

When I've tried to get off caffeine, I've had the fewest symptoms by doing it gradually. When I was pregnant, I did it cold turkey, but felt AWFUL for a several days. The headaches were killer. My drug of choice was (and still is) Mountain Dew.

I never had morning sickness, I had evening sickness. Made worse by coming in from work and trying to cook supper for my husband. Smelling the food cooking was enough to send me flying to the bathroom.

Oh, and next time tell the governor to go walkin' He needs that more anyway.

I always got sick around noon. Every single day. Never threw up, though. The main thing I remember from the first trimester was how TIRED I was, so I wouldn't blame the fatigue all on the lack of caffeine...it's 'cause you're growing a human!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health