« Home | Typing. (In Stereo.) » | Happy students: The croutons on my salad. » | I'm goin' on a cruise, bitches! » | Irony » | I can't think of a good title through all the snot... » | Fried Meatloaf » | Red Tape, Yellow Ropes, and an Asshole in Blue » | Bored of Education » | Back to it » | A Tale of Two Titties » 

Thursday, December 13, 2007 

I'd rather be at the dentist

I have a dentist appointment today at 9:00, so I'm not going to work today until that's done. It's gonna suck to be at work with a numb face and/or sore mouth, but it beats having a toothache while on a cruise. The sad part is that this has been neglected for a year.

Last December I was sitting in front of the television when I suddenly realized that there was a huge chunk of my back tooth missing. Tim had just left Rite Aid to work at the hospital, and the insurance wasn't active yet. It didn't hurt, so I never got motivated to go to the dentist.

Well, that particular tooth still doesn't hurt, but there's another one that's got a cavity, and it does hurt. After what I dealt with yesterday, it occurred to me that it might be worth it to get it taken care of before the Christmas break.

Yesterday at work all of the forces in the universe aligned just perfectly to make me suffer. I had to proctor a mock MCT test. My allergies have been kickin', so I had taken an allergy medicine before work and I was sleepy. I was also wearing dress shoes because I didn't realize I'd have to walk around for 3 hours without a chance to sit down. I wasn't allowed to pee this whole time, which made me regret drinking those five cups of coffee before work-- even though I drank them because I was already so damn sleepy. Oh, and have I mentioned that my kids are cold natured as a Chiuaua in an ice storm? If it's lower than 75, they shiver. And since they were testing I had more compassion than usual and tried to keep them comfortable. To sum it up, I was sneezing, yawning, sweating, walking on achy feet with a full bladder. Just when I thought it couldn't suck any worse, my tooth went to aching. The test lasted 3 hours, but the entire day was pretty long yesterday. That's what happens when the morning starts out so crappy and the kids are in one of their weird moods for the rest of the day. OH! AND we had an English Department meeting after school, which lasted for an hour, so I didn't get off work until 5:15.

So going to the dentist will actually be an improvement over yesterday.

I had a toothache that started suddenly like that one time. I got off work at the hospital at 11 p.m. and, since it had been busy, I hadn't eaten all shift, so I fixed a pimento and cheese sandwich. After I ate it, I started getting a twinge in one of my teeth. It got bad really fast, and I kept waking up all night every time my top teeth came into contact with my bottom teeth. I ended up having to have a root canal - my local dentist sent me to a doctor in Jackson = had to be there at 7 a.m. (about an hour and a half from Philadelphia), but by then the pain was so bad, I'd have been on Farish Street at midnight if they'd told me it would stop it from hurting. Come to think of it, I'd probably have been able to get some good street drugs at that hour at that location.

I hope you had the nitrous. Both of you. That's the best part of going to the dentist. Even if he stores the nitrous metal gas can tube thingy in a giant clown.

It turned out that nothing was wrong with either of the teeth that were hurting me. The one in the back that broke off forever ago, and which I was sure was destined to be yanked out or root-canalled (sp?) was okay, acc. to him. He just filed it down. The other one that was hurting? Turns out that it's just my ever-shifting bite. He filed it down too. He likes to file things down. He said I'll have to have braces put back on my bottom teeth though because the arch is "collapsing" GREEEAT! I wore braces for 5 years, and 15 years later we're back to square one. Except it'll suck more this time, because who wants to be 30 years old and have braces? Nothing screams "VAIN" like a 30+ year old woman with braces.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health