« Home | The weather changed today » | I bet there are a lot of alcoholic teachers » | I need overtime, dammit. » | Still Strong » | Pepto and Coffee » | Who let you in? » | Confessions of a Fat Ass » | Bitch, Moan, Repeat » | Apples and Oranges and Write-ups, oh my! » | Junior Haiku 2 » 

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 

It's not even 6 a.m. yet and I'm cussing. Like a fckin sailor, bitches.

The amount of bullshit in my job is overwhelming. I've said before that for every hour I spend teaching, I have to spend two hours doing paperwork to prove that I'm teaching-- or that I'm adhering to the special plans for the SPED kids, or that I'm doing this or that or the other thing that might leave someone behind. I'm all for accountability, but some of this shit needs to be eliminated, and the rest needs done by a freaking secretary. Every time some asshole who doesn't work in a classroom gets the bright idea for a way to make HIS job easier, it makes mine harder. EVERYTHING falls to the teachers. Let me ask you this: Since we're the ones who spend the time in the classroom with the kids, doing the actual teaching, shouldn't someone else step in and take care of some of the documentation? I mean, wouldn't that free us up to, oh, I don't know, TEACH?

It's not like I don't work my ass off. If a piece of paper doesn't get printed out, is that really worth knocking morale down ten points for? I'd take this kind of thing much better if I didn't have to get to work at 7:30, leave at 5:30, and work at home until 9:30 just to keep my head above water.

Anyway, the thing is that at any given time there are at least a dozen things which must be done, and each and every one of those things is urgent. Everything is at the very top of the list of priorities. There's not much room up there, you know. I like my bosses-- all forty seven of them-- but I don't think it's right that I'm given 900 things to do, and all 900 must be done immediately and they shit their pants if it's not, but they've got one or two things that they're supposed to be doing for me, and I can just suck it until they get around to doing it at their leisure.

I'm still taking off Friday. I was going to go visit my mom and 'nem in North MS, but now I'm thinking about just using the day to catch up on work. Right now I'm debating on it. Maybe I will work at home all day Friday and try to get most of my work done, and go up there Saturday morning if I feel like it.

Labels: , ,

I'm back!

I understand where you are coming from. I have one of those Sped kids. I was lucky enough to not have to work so I spent a lot of time at the school helping the teachers (for both kids actually). I couldn't do some of the BS you are talking about but I graded papers, made copies and ran errands. I also came to all the parties and field trips. Money was another big issue - they never gave the teacher's enough - I actually bought copy paper one year because the school ran out and there was no money for more! I also bought computer programs and misc. stuff. In Israel everyone has to serve in the Army. I think everyone should have to do time in a school so they will quit bitching about things they have NO clue about.

BTW - I am no longer a Californian - I am a Floridian now :)

Glad to see you got the job though!!! Hang in there!!

I hear ya, Sistah! Pardon me if I gloat a minute by saying that I leave work at 5:00. But what sticks in my craw (a reference to yo Mama, who loves the fowl) is that the pile o' work I've been dealing with was a project that was supposed to be COMPLETED by December, 2006. I wasn't even teaching this subject then. But because those teachers didn't toe the line, I got part of that project dumped in my lap THE LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL. It is something that can't be accessed at home. It can be looked at, but not updated. So now I am bitterly doing my best to show them up. As evidenced by 5 thingies that were missing from mine when they were checked, and 36 missing from one who taught the class last year. Oh, yeah. Mrs. Hillbilly Mom will take you to class! But I still don't get no respect. Perhaps it's my cliches, or my preposition issues.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health