« Home | Still Strong » | Pepto and Coffee » | Who let you in? » | Confessions of a Fat Ass » | Bitch, Moan, Repeat » | Apples and Oranges and Write-ups, oh my! » | Junior Haiku 2 » | Junior Haiku » | I'm tired from all the work I don't do » | I was due. » 

Saturday, September 22, 2007 

I need overtime, dammit.

Last night we saw Jason Isbell (formerly of the Drive by Truckers) play at the Thirsty Hippo. It was awesome. I have been listening to his new album, and it was cool to see him in such a tiny place. Between sets I got the chance to ask if one of the songs ("Brand New Kind of Actress") was about who/what I thought it was about, and he said it was. I feel so thmart.

I also drank 3 Coronas. I know. Sugar. Carbs. Calories. I broke my rule. But it was a special occasion-- especially since TH offered to buy me a beer. He is normally anti-beer, and prefers that I be the same way. So when he suggested I enjoy a cold, tasty beer, I took him up on it. Thrice.

Today is our nephew's 18th birthday, and the family met at a steakhouse tonight for dinner. I managed to avoid sugars and carbs, but I did eat a large portion of a deep fried onion. The only sugar came from one single tiny bite of birthday cake. I'm sure it wasn't enough to throw my stuff out of whack.

I have too much work to do. All four of my groups took a quiz Friday, and I still haven't graded their tests from Tuesday. I've also got lesson plans, which take forfreakin'ever, and I got a nasty email from a semi-superior who is pissed because I screwed up some score report on the first test, and I've got to figure out how to fix it by Monday. It's just some bullshit for her to pass on to someone else as proof that we're teaching from the curriculum. For every minute I spend teaching from the curriculum, I spend ten more minutes doing some bullshit to prove it.

Next weekend, I'm going to visit my mom, and I'm taking that following Monday off. I can't wait. A few hours on the interstate and a brief change of scenery will be nice.

Sometimes a road trip by yourself is just what you need.

I am on vacation this week and my freckle-faced husband and I are going to the Alabama coast. He will deep sea fish and I will deep shop and rest and completely ignore the fact that I have a job I will have to return to. "To the road where the cars never stop going through the night, To a life where I can't watch the sunset........I don't have time."

Nothin' like a little Dido and some sand in my shoes.

Can you imagine how good OUR teachers had it? All they had to do was teach. Which is probably why we turned out semi-literate. None of that documentation about every little molecule of oxygen we give them to breathe, no feeding breakfast and dinner and afterschool snack, and giving them busy-work projects that look good on paper, and sitting out in the boonies before school with a radar speed-gun to make sure they obey the laws of the land. It's like when the conservation people came to school asking questions about a weekend party where some kids burned a wooden park rules sign in a bonfire. We are responsible for that HOW?

Oh, and I am quickly tiring of jumping through the hoops, being a core class teacher again. I am old and arthritic, and resent the hoop jumping. To add insult to my injury, the crocodile tears I weep are rubbing salt in my wounded self-esteem. AND, I found out last week that last year, the teacher of my class did not even cover 15-20 of the GLEs. And ANOTHER teacher of a different core sniggered that she did not even open her curriculum guide all of last year--in fact, she did not even have a copy in her room. My blood is approaching the boiling point.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health