« Home | Junior Haiku 2 » | Junior Haiku » | I'm tired from all the work I don't do » | I was due. » | Today I Saw Elvis » | Don't let the f*ckers get ya down » | Missipissy. » | DPA goes to the vagina doctor. » | Good Morning » | Day Off » 

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 

Apples and Oranges and Write-ups, oh my!

A few days ago they brought a new student to my classroom. She looks like she's about 40 years old. She's 15. She is originally from New Orleans, but moved to Georgia after Katrina. While in Georgia, she didn't attend school very much. She did get a tattoo and get pregnant, however, and now she's here in Mississippi and ready to not be left behind. She's three months pregnant, and I have to let her go to the bathroom when she wants and I have to let her eat crackers in class for nausea. I don't mind doing this, of course, but it does make it hard for me to keep the other not-pregnant, not-tattoed kids in line.

She was kinda scary looking, and I was worried about having her in my class at first. I mean, how do you take a kid who has been living without any kind of boundaries or authority for the last two years, is expecting a child of her own, and expect her to take you seriously when you tell her not to speak without permission and to stand on the black line while waiting to get her styrofoam tray of nastiness in the cafeteria? I decided to be really sweet and caring, and just see if I could win her over. Because I thought it might take some work.

Much to my relief, she's been very easy to deal with. She wanted to know what she had missed, and she's taken a real interest in getting caught up. She participates, and she usually gets the answers right--- or at least close to right. She's relatively bright, and I think she can catch up. She's sweet. She asks me for my fruit every day at lunch, and I give it to her. She eats the regular cafeteria food, and that apple or whatever is probably the only beneficial thing her baby is getting, besides a prenatal vitamin.

Today there was a sub in my classroom because I had to attend a training thingie. At the end of the day, I went back to my classroom because I had to attend a faculty meeting on campus after school. On my way back to my room, I happened to see her coming out of the bathroom. She stopped me to ask if I had any fruit, and I jokingly asked her if she'd missed me. She said, "Yes! That class was running all over that lady today!"

I didn't have any fruit today, but told her I'd get her a bag of mixed fruit at the store. Hey, teachers used to be the ones receiving apples and giving information. It's a new generation, people. Catch up. Apples for information-- that's a good trade. It's so refreshing to find someone who's willing to tell all. I got a few juicy details, and there'll be hell to pay tomorrow. Hell to pay, I tell you! Muwahahahahahahahahah!

Labels:

Heh, heh. 'Ready to not be left behind.'

You need to cultivate that relationship because...

1> A good snitch is handy. Just make sure she's not playing both sides...

2> By being nice and talking to her and telling her that you think she has potential, you may be the one to save not only this girl but you may keep her baby out of jail 16 years down the road!

Good luck. And I mean that from way down inside!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health