« Home | cheap Chinese plastic crap » | Update » | 3 in 1: Comments on Work, a Note About the Bridge... » | Bureaucratic Kudzu » | Cleanin out my closet » | Why the Insurance Company Hates My Guts » | Must Have Down Time » | Plans » | Well THAT was awkward! » | Pookie's Peanuts » 

Monday, August 06, 2007 

It Only Hurts the First Time

Many of the observations I'm making at work right now are not safe to share. I would love to go into great detail about all the new people I've met, but I can't, because one of them might find this here blog. Instead of talking about specific personalities, I'll tell you about something I've been trying to figure out. Let me start by saying that the more time I spend at work, the more convinced I am that this is going to be a cake walk compared to my first experience.

As I watch the first year teachers at my new school, I'm surprised how calm they are. Over the past two weeks I have wondered why they weren't nervous. Today they were a little more anxious to ask questions and express concerns, and I imagine they'll have more of the same tomorrow, considering it's the last child-free day of work. But even with the questions and concerns they're still fairly calm, and I keep looking at them and wondering how.

There are a couple of possibilities. One is that they're still blissfully ignorant. They don't know what's coming. The experienced teachers aren't nervous, because they know what's coming and what they're going to do when it gets there. The brand new ones aren't nervous because they don't know. Having only done this one time before, I know what's coming and how important it is to be ready, but still am not 100% confident that I am totally ready. I feel like the one bird on the shore that thinks the tsunami's on the way and is bracing for it. The veterans are already in a safe place, and the newbies are pecking away at insects like everything's cool. I noticed that another second year teacher seemed to also be bracing for the tsunami, keenly aware that if you don't hold on, it can overwhelm you.

Another possibility is that it's really not that bad here and there's not as much to be nervous about. I know those two outgoing teachers tried to scare me that one day a few weeks ago, but the more I work and the more I hear (from teachers who are NOT outgoing) the more I think the kids are pretty manageable. They still come with all the complications of children from low income families, but I think the expectations are still much higher. A poor kid can make it if s/he has someone who fully expects them to. A rich kid can't make it if nobody gives a damn. (Look at Lindsay Lohan and the rest of 'em.)

I'm sure it's a little of both-- the new teachers aren't sure what to expect, and when it gets there it won't be unmanageable. I know they're gonna come in trying to find out whether they can take over, but I don't think there will be anything heavy hurled at my head.

I've got my helmet within reach just in case.

Labels:

Maybe the newbies are on Valium.

Keep a stash in your helmet, just in case.

Part of your apprehension may be because you're in a new district. You should not have anything to worry about...you even SUBSTITUTED, by cracky! I've only done that ONCE, and plan never to do it again.

I have no idea what makes the newbies so calm. Perhaps they are totally incompetent, like all the people I had to deal with today.

DY-- Valium would be nice.

HM-- I'm tired of incompetent people.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health