« Home | Not so subtle clue » | I am now officially pissed the ***k off! » | Meanie Vents » | It Ain't My Fault » | The past, the present, and the stuff in between » | I'm on Meth » | Even ninjas need their rest » | Plumbing in Progress » | I always knew I was a deviant » | Best Laid Plans » 

Thursday, July 12, 2007 

Stop and smell the...armadillo corpse?

My car is in the shop having some body work. Remember when I backed into TH's truck and banged the hell out of it--like 7 months ago? It's just now getting fixed.

We normally drive my car to the walking track when we go, because TH says he doesn't want us to get sweat on his purty leather seats in his fancy car. Since my car's out of commission, we took the truck the other night.

It's been parked under the carport by the shop, and when we got out there we smelled a horrid stench. A stomach turning, gut wrenching, foul smell from the armpit of hell. Get my drift yet? Since we don't drive it much these days, we feared something had made its way into the truck and died, but once we drove off the smell disappeared. When we pulled it back under the shop, we could smell it again.

Last night we were out there again, and the smell was worse. TH grabbed a flash light and started looking for the source of the stink. Well, the water cut-off thingie is out there by the shop, and there's this hole in the ground next to it with some kind of pipe sticking out of it. We don't really know what it's for. It had occurred to me that something might be in that hole, but I hadn't said anything before because frankly I didn't really want to find whatever was causing the stink. Seeing how determined TH was to find the stink, I decided to point it out as a possibility. He approached the hole, leaned over it, and peered down. A fraction of a second later, he recoiled in horror and covered his nose-- "It's a damn armadillo!"

armadillo

It apparently crawled down in there head first and couldn't get out. Now it's stinking to the heavens. I tried taking a picture of it today but I couldn't get directly over it because the smell is so fierce. It's probably just gonna hafta rot, because neither of us has the stomach to dig it out.

Armadillos: Yet another thing we didn't have in north Mississippi.

What you need is a good sinkhole.

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm kinda GLAD your camera wouldn't shoot down in the hole!

I'm no plumber but then again neither apparently is the one you currently have but I believe that pipe is the outside access to the septic tank. We have one too and I know that you can use that pipe to directly dump stuff (like an RV tank) into the septic tank or to flush the septic tank.

I might be thinking of getting some wire to cover ours with now, we have do armadillos in Oklahoma and I don't want one there!

HBMOm-- Yeah, I could use one of those right now. I dug the armadillo out and now he's lying out in the yard. In three pieces. Are there armadillos in Missouri?? I don't remember EVER seeing one in north MS, save for the occasional one on the interstate south of home. I was surprised they were down here. I thought they were just in Texas and the west.

Damnyank-- Yeah, or else you would've seen about a million maggots wriggling around.

MrsCoach-- The septic tank is on the opposite side of the house. This pipe is adjacent to the shop, and Tim said it's unfinished plumbing. Someone was going to plumb the shop and never did.

I'll be hunting down a lid to cover it so this hopefully never happens again. It's the nastiest thing I've ever seen.

One day we had a HUGE rain and our garden was flooded. We saw an armadillo swimming through it. The spousal unit went and got a shovel and tried to beat it to death - he's a heartless little bugger - but couldn't. Last time we saw it, it finished the swimming portion of the competition and was waddling toward the storm drain. Maybe it washed up in your yard...........

Damnyankee-- Tim said he hopes this is the same one that's been digging up our yard for two years. Time will tell, I reckon.

Yeah, we have them in Missouri. Years ago, I was surprised to see them down around the Mountain Grove/Cabool area. Now they are HERE, and I am halfway up the state.

Just this year I've seen 3 of them dead, IN the road. Perhaps they were going to visit some possums. Perhaps they merely staggered to their final resting place after a thorough beating with a shovel.

Anyone remember the old Lone Star beer ads with the giant armadillo? Or is this not a Texas-y enough crowd for that?

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health