« Home | Holiday Sugar High Movie Review » | The Crotchety Pirate » | Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired » | Our Luck » | Scatterbrain » | Teetering Tom » | Painful Childhood Memory » | Even Steven vs. the Indian Curse » | Quickie » | I hope I get an intestinal parasite » 

Thursday, July 05, 2007 

Best Laid Plans

I forgot to say a thing or two when I posted earlier today. There were tons of loud fans going (more on that in a minute), and TH was fussing (for the same reason the fans were going).

Forgotten point of bitchery #1:

TH and I will celebrate our first wedding anniversary on July 22. We deliberately timed our wedding so that we would always be able to take a trip on our anniversary. I won't work in the summers, and at the time he was employed by Wrong Aid, who discouraged them from taking their vacations in summer, or, you know, EVER. He now works for a large hospital, and while they discourage them from taking breaks in summer he's probably never gonna have much problem finding someone who wants the OT to cover him if they give him crap about it.

This year he can't get July 22nd off, but he managed to get the entire work week of the 23rd. Since we waited too long to book the cabin in the mountains I'd been dreaming of and we blew way more than planned in Florida, we've been planning to stay near home that week. We discussed possibly taking a trip to some motorsports park in Alabama, or maybe going deep sea fishing in the gulf, or making some other little quick trip to something nearby. Mostly I just want to hang around, eat our anniversary cake, and be spoiled. Who knows-- I might even get the hot tub running just for that week so we can sit naked outside in the water. To sum it up, we were looking forward to a week of nothing but carefree naked togetherness. And cake.

Then today I got a letter. My first day of work is the 23rd, and I have new teacher orientation three days that week. Goodbye, cake. Goodbye, hot tub. Goodbye, carefree naked togetherness. Hello, early mornings. Hello, boring meetings.

Forgotten point of bitchery #2:

The plumber came today. He pulled up in a big Mr. Rooter van, pulling a backhoe on a trailer. He had called to let us know he was on his way, so TH had jumped in the shower and woke me up and told me to get ready. When I got out of the shower, I heard the guy knocking. TH was still standing in the bathroom in his underwear for some reason, so the guy had to stand there for five minutes while we cussed and scrambled for shirts and pants.

He got started digging right away. We are paying $125 per hour for this, plus the cost of the machinery and parts. When I got back from my doctor appointment, the guy was sitting in his truck talking on a phone. TH assured me we were not being billed for the time. I'm sorry, but I don't think they're watching it that closely. It's not like they're not just gonna pull a number out of their ass when they're done anyway. The guy claims he's cutting TH a break because he knew him in high school. Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it. That "I'm giving you a break" line is probably nothing more than the equivalent of a touch of petroleum jelly on the old corn hole. It might hurt slightly less, but you're still getting screwed.

God I'm graphic today with the snot sucking and the corn hole talk, huh?

Okay, so anyway while I was at the doctor, the plumber told TH to run the washing machine for some reason-- presumably to see if things were draining properly. Instead of staying inside to make sure it didn't back up, TH stood out there with the guy, watching the hole in the ground. When he came back in, the house was flooded big time. It got up in the walls this time, got into the closets, all the way down the hallway, into the living room. Hence the fans and the fussing.

So the plumber works a while, then it starts raining. The guy came and said he couldn't keep working today because it's raining, and if the hole that's out there fills up with water the city won't be able to inspect it, or something. So he'll be back tomorrow. And I'm just gonna take a wild guess and say we're probably gonna be charged for the equipment for an extra day.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFISHSTICKS!

I'm definitely not a big Beatles fan but John Lennon certainly got it right when he said "life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

I'm trying to think of a positive from the situation. Now that you have a job you can save some more money and take an even more awesome holiday next year?!

At least I tried :-)

As long as you get some nookie and a cuddle it's all good.

And congratulations on the job by the way, you certainly deserve it.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health