« Home | Painful Childhood Memory » | Even Steven vs. the Indian Curse » | Quickie » | I hope I get an intestinal parasite » | How to Burn $730 Fast » | Motorcycles, Neighbors, and Petty Concerns » | At my window, sad and smoldering » | Plague of the Many Mini Forests » | Teacher fever » | Fish Theory » 

Friday, June 29, 2007 

Teetering Tom

On my way up Hwy 49 on Tuesday, I saw a shocking sight that I can't believe I didn't blog about until now.

West 4th Street in Hattiesburg crosses over Hwy 49 right next to the University of Southern Mississippi. There's a bridge there that you have to go under if you're on 49. It stands out because it's painted with the Southern Miss logo. On West 4th, there's a sidewalk type area for pedestrians to cross (it's near the football stadium) and there's plenty of railing there between the street and the sidewalk, and then between the sidewalk and the edge of the bridge.

When I drove under that bridge Tuesday, there were two kids leaning on the railing, overlooking traffic. They looked like they were about 10 years old, and I think both of them were girls. There was a third kid-- a boy about the same age-- who had crawled over the railing, and was balanced on what I can only assume was a tiny ledge on the bridge. I'm having a hard time giving you the visual, but I can't find a picture of this bridge anywhere online. He was standing on a little ledge with his back and the palms of his hands flat against the bridge. I don't know how he got down there without falling. Also, the top of the bridge was as high as he was tall, so once he got down to that little ledge I don't know how he could've gotten back up over the side and back onto 4th St.

His position was a precarious one, to put it mildly.

When I saw him, my mouth quite literally fell open and I gasped in horror as I reached for my cell phone. When I got through to Hattiesburg P.D.'s dispatch, they said the police were already on the way.

Since I was out of town, I have no idea if there was anything in the news or the paper, but I can't find anything. I'm sure there would've been something if he'd fallen. Still, it's kind of a small town, you know, and I think a kid teetering over a major highway might've gotten some attention, especially since tons of people had to see him as they passed under the bridge while holding their breath and reaching for cell phones.

I'm dying to know the story, and I've put out an all points bulletin to a few acquaintances in local law enforcement. Hopefully one of them will fill me in soon. And maybe then they'll fix that ticket I got in Petal.

Oh, I didn't tell you about the ticket? I will tomorrow.

I called in a couple of kids standing on the bridge above the river last summer, the dispatcher asked if they were my kids, I said no, and she said "it's none of your business then I guess". I just said "Ok, but when they fall in the river and die, your the one who dropped the ball and it's recorded that I called it in so it's your job on the line, not mine". She said she'd send someone out. Geez....

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health