« Home | At my window, sad and smoldering » | Plague of the Many Mini Forests » | Teacher fever » | Fish Theory » | Pass the birth control pills, please » | The nastiest thing that has ever happened to me » | Quick Update » | Laundromat gringos » | Minding Mice at a Crossroads » | Wanted: Handyman. Or an Ark. Whichever. » 

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 

Motorcycles, Neighbors, and Petty Concerns

Surely at some point in the history of my several blogs I have told the story of the time I wrecked TH's motorcycle. Not his Harley-- thank God-- but his old crappy Honda. We were dating, and had only been together for about six months. Anyway, to make a long story short, I turned it over and screwed up a bunch of stuff on it. And I'll never live it down.

Ever since then, I've been bugging him to get it fixed for me. The point was for me to learn how to ride. He didn't get it fixed right away because the repairs were going to cost more than the bike was worth, and according to TH's reasoning, it's better to let something set and rot than to risk spending more than you could get for it on Ebay to get it back running. Well, about two months ago he finally decided to deal with it. He did what he could do here, then finally loaded it up and took it to the pros at A & B Cycles.

We just got it back today. It has rebuilt carbs and a new clutch. When we got it home, TH let me ride it in the yard, but I wasn't allowed to shift out of 1st. Shifting is what I was doing when I wrecked it the first time, so I can never shift again, you see. I rode it around the yard for half an hour or so. After a while, I guess he decided I wasn't going to eat dirt again, because he gave me permission to shift. I had fun. I'm pretty sure I can learn to ride, and I asked TH if I could have a HD Sportster when I get good at it. He's talked about buying me one before. It's cheap, for a Harley. A good starter bike. This is the 2007 Sportster--

sportster_xl883r
And this is my current bike--

honda

And this is The Husband's bike--

harley

Anyway, I don't have nearly the passion for bikes as he does, but I did have fun riding, and hope that one day I can actually leave the yard. As I weaved between a couple of pine trees in the back yard, I was reminded of Hillbilly Mom's #1 son and the $300 car.

We have new neighbors. Oh, the rednecks across the street haven't gone anywhere. They're more settled than ever with their shiney new John Deere basketball goal. I swear, if you looked up "redneck" in the dictionary, it would have their family photo with a cross reference to "white trash." To each his own. I'm learning to ignore them, but every time I get to the point that I'm barely noticing them, they come up with something you just can't ignore. Like a John Deere basketball goal. Really. Did they have to get one with a John Deere logo on the backboard? I mean, I'm guessing if you're a big John Deere fan, you're not real likely to be headed for the NBA anyway, so why not just get your standard Wal Mart basketball goal?

Our new neighbors are next door. The black military guy that lived there moved out, and a "For Sale" sign appeared in the yard. It's been for sale for about two months, and today we saw a young couple pull up in a truck and go inside. We didn't notice them moving in, but they're apparently already moved in, because they were still there tonight when we came back from walking. Not that I'm being a nosey neighbor or anything.

Have I mentioned lately how glad I'll be to get back to work? Maybe then the tiny stuff won't bother me as bad. I'll have disrespectful kids, clueless parents, ridiculous administrators, impossible policies, and incompetent coworkers to be annoyed with. And maybe, just maybe my grammar will stop getting sh*ttier by the minute.

Not to mention innumerable blogging possibilities about the students, administrators, coworkers, etc!

My brother had a motorcycle when we were teenagers. I rode with him a couple of times, but it (or his driving) scared me to death, and I haven't had the desire to be on once since. Just not enough metal between me and the asphalt.

I've always been a chickenshit.

I beg to differ. I believe MY neighbors would be listed under "redneck" and cross-referenced as "white trash." Wish I had taken pictures last summer when they knocked out the windows in the front of their trailer and hung confederate flags instead. They have 3 loud trucks, one with the big lights on the top, and of course, these are all really high off the ground and have big tires. And their youngest of ...I don't know...six or seven children, who is 9 going on 10 and going into the third grade unless he flunked yet again, just used blue spray paint last weekend on our privacy fence to practice for an anatomy test apparently. Wish you could see the lovely set of "bubes( by the way, the first b in bubes was backwards)" that he painted on both sides of our fence. Oh, and be sure to call someone you love a "marther furcker." The parents and older siblings all said it couldn't have been their innocent little Mikey who painted our fence...he is not that good of a speller. To which I said, "What the fark? You just made our case for us."

DY-- It's way scarier when you're riding with someone else. TH wants me to ride bitch with him, but I like to be in control. That way if I eat the pavement, at least I can TRY to stop it, or at least see it coming.

MMM-- Oh Lord. Just...Oh God. That's bad. I believe I would have to wring his little red neck if he spray painted my..well, my anything. Farker! Ours aren't that bad. Their little kid did steal our mail once, and he threw rocks into our yard at our dog at least once that I saw, but ever since I caught him in the act and came out the front door yelling, we've had no problems. Of course we don't have a dog now, so...
Anyway, your story reminds me of the people who live near a place we own up in Covington County. They're straight outta Deliverance. We can't even use the land for anything because they steal everything in sight, including horses.

Can't you shoot people for being horse thieves? Legally, I mean.
Maybe that's only in Texas... hell, you can shoot anyone in Texas if they really deserve it.

(Note: "They needed shootin'" is probably not a valid legal defense in Texas... but you're certainly welcome to try it. Let us know how it all works out.)

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health