« Home | The nastiest thing that has ever happened to me » | Quick Update » | Laundromat gringos » | Minding Mice at a Crossroads » | Wanted: Handyman. Or an Ark. Whichever. » | And the juggling act begins » | Lines composed over a bucket of ice cream » | Plugging Leaks » | The bleach, the bitch, and the beach » | Go Postal » 

Friday, June 15, 2007 

Pass the birth control pills, please

TH is at Jubilee Jam in Jackson. He wanted me to go with him, but I just couldn't get excited about it. I was snoozing when he tried to talk me into getting up and going with him, and at that moment my pillow was the only true love I could think about. The only semi decent band tonight is the Black Crowes. Under different circumstances, I might've been in the mood, but I just came home from a very tiring vacation and I wanted to stay home. Home, sweet home. Where there are no loud children and my biggest concern at the moment is whether I should watch tv or play on the computer.

I have to say, in all honesty, that spending a week with my niece and nephew has truly given me a new perspective on having kids. Since we got married, I have been feeling sorta eager to reproduce. One week with them has shown me how good we have it right now. They're not bad kids, and I'm not saying I don't want kids. I'm just saying...damn they're a lot of work! Right now, I can take a nap in the middle of the day if it's raining outside and the conditions are perfect for napping. I can get up and go to Jubilee Jam if I feel like it. If I decide I want sushi for lunch tomorrow, guess what? I'm going to go get sushi, and I'm not going to have to prepare any other meals because someone else prefers chicken nuggets over raw fish. If I need to go to Wal Mart or the grocery store, I don't have to load anyone into the car, buckle any car booster seats, fill any cups with chocolate milk, or hunt down anyone's shoes before I can go. I can have sex on the couch. I can have loud sex. I can make the bed squeak and bang into the wall at 2:00 p.m. and it's okay.

This past week has taught me that I want to spend another year or so taking naps in the middle of the day, sitting in the bath tub watching my skin wrinkle, going where I want when I want, and having middle of the day bed squeaking sex before we crank out a chicken-nugget-eating-sex-interrupting-sushi-hater that never shuts up.

This morning I went to get Pookie at the vet, where he was boarded while we were gone. Poor thing had to spend four days in a little cage, and I'm sure nobody played with him. He was very glad to get home. He spent the entire day running around like a little madman, and now he's curled up asleep between my feet.

Tomorrow there will be plenty of unpleasant chores, including a trip to the laundromat. The plumber will begin working on both our little problem and our big problem next week, thank God. The little problem is the clogged pipe that is causing the water to back up into the house. The big problem, which seems smaller now that the little problem has become so big, is that we're not hooked up to the city sewer. The only reason I say the sewer is the big problem is because it's likely to be the more expensive one.

They still haven't given us a price on any of this, because the primary concern was whether or not they could even get the legal stuff out of the way so they could work in our city. The only guy who had the permit (or bond or whatever it is) to work here quit recently. We are hoping they don't try to gauge us on the charge, but it's a possibility. They are a big company though, so I'm hoping that's less likely to happen. If it does, I can probably find a corporate number to call and complain to someone.

Now that I'm a working woman, at least we have the comfort of knowing we can quickly build our savings back up if this gets really expensive. I'm very excited about my new job, and I know it brings TH some comfort. He is one of those guys who always feels like the bottom could fall out at any moment even though the bank account balance goes up every month. I think it's because he grew up in true poverty. Regardless, I'm happy about it too because now not only do I not feel worthless, but we can quickly pay off my car and a few other little things that I brought into the marriage. You know, like $35,000 in student loan debt. Little things like that.

I'm also going to have some good blogging material.

Well, once you DO have a little one, you won't have much time to blog about anything, so I'm glad you're postponing.

It IS all about me, after all.

"chicken-nugget-eating-sex-interrupting-sushi-hater"

BEST DESCRIPTION EVER!

No need to rush anything - you are still YOUNG yet!! I actually started college with the intent to teach - the students would be my "kids" and I would not have any of my own - the best of both worlds because I do LOVE kids.... things didn't quite work out that way but I am happy just the same.

I honestly don't think that getting kids to like sushi would be too hard. It all depends on how you introduce them to it. (hint: don't start with "Let's go eat raw fish! Yummmm!")

If you ease them in slowly with tamago or tempura, then move up to sushi rolls, within a few visits you should be able to eat your octopus legs in peace.
Also, some of the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life was at a sushi bar... so there's always that.

I agree with Just A Girl - best description ever. Ever.

I was in such a hurry to have kidlets that I did not enjoy our child-free years. I was too obsessed with the fact that I didn't have any and in a flash I had three.

I don't regret one single thing I've done in my life and those kids are the most wonderful things that have ever happened to me, but yeah, enjoy the years before you own a set of your own.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health