« Home | Wanted: Handyman. Or an Ark. Whichever. » | And the juggling act begins » | Lines composed over a bucket of ice cream » | Plugging Leaks » | The bleach, the bitch, and the beach » | Go Postal » | Lazy Post » | Pookie is a jerk » | Do I have "worthless" stamped on me somewhere? » | Where we were going to be in 10 years-- an update. » 

Saturday, June 09, 2007 

Minding Mice at a Crossroads

My sister, brother-in-law, and the kids got here around 2:00 today. I was shocked, because they normally turn a 4 hour trip into at least 6 hours, but today they made it in less than 5. This was the first time they'd even seen where I live, so we all hung out for about an hour before they hit the road again. They're in Perdido Key now, and the rest of us will meet up with them Monday.

So TH is at work and I've had the kids since about 3:00. I've learned a lot.

1. A cute five year old can get you out of a ticket.
2. Getting pulled over provides a wonderful opportunity to discuss what the cops might have done if we hadn't had our seatbelt buckling ceremony in the driveway before we left.
3. They should require proof of age to sell Mountain Dew Code Red. That shit is like crack to an eight year old. Crystal Light is your friend. Your calm, mellow, sugar-free friend.
4. No matter how you try to maintain order, the following things are guaranteed to happen: The red drink will get spilled on the coffee table and the carpet; The kitchen floor will be sticky for reasons unknown; The cats will go into hiding and develop an intense phobia of the sound of children's voices; Someone will set a wet cup on the pool table; There will be a half-eaten bologna sandwich thrown into the refrigerator without even being wrapped up; Realizing after you arrive at McDonald's that someone made it out of the house barefoot will remind you where you came from; At some point, chocolate milk will fly through the air.

I'm not very bad at this kid handling thing. I only promised my sister that I would keep them alive-- beyond that, there were no guarantees. I've managed to keep them entertained, fed, and happy. We even got through bath time, tooth-brushing time, medicine time, story time, and bedtime without much hassle. I did have to threaten to crack their skulls if they called me in there to referee one more showdown over who was hogging the covers. The red pillow in the center of the bed is a wall. If one of you crosses the wall, both of you get spanked, starting with the person who calls me in here. Any questions?

I only threatened spanking after the fourth trip in there, so don't call any hotlines on me. Children under 10 understand the concept of spank a little better than they understand the concept of peace treaty, and it was starting to look like the Gaza Strip in there.

What's wrong with spanking? You worried about hurting your hand? or belt? Or the nearest convenient tree?
Don't worry, all that will heal up just fine.

Preach it brother!

My step-sister's son was driving me and my niece crazy one day. I happened to have something heavy in my hand, can't remember what or why, but I looked at my niece and calmly said "You know, this would hurt really bad if I accidentally dropped it on somebody's foot" and turned and looked at the boy. His eyes got wide and he said "You're mean!" and ran off. BUT, he didn't bother us anymore.

Sometimes a well-placed threat is all that is needed.

Once when my son was younger he told me if I spanked him he would call 911 on me! (this is what they are teaching the kids in school) I picked up the phone and told him I would dial the phone for him and when the cops showed up they would be taking HIM to jail for his bad behavior! That shut him up real quick. I don't advocate abuse but I don't think a smack now and then is a bad thing.

That's why i say laws seat belt should come into effect for safety.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health