« Home | The bleach, the bitch, and the beach » | Go Postal » | Lazy Post » | Pookie is a jerk » | Do I have "worthless" stamped on me somewhere? » | Where we were going to be in 10 years-- an update. » | Good excuse » | comes around » | Competition » | The Honest Interviewer » 

Wednesday, June 06, 2007 

Plugging Leaks

Cross your fingers, people. I think I've got a job. My name's not on the dotted line yet, but I think it will be.

This is great, especially since we think we're about to have a massively expensive home repair. Remember when I wrote about the mysterious water leaking into the hallway from under the wall? We couldn't find the source, but thought it either had something to do with the new plumbing for the sewer system, or the air conditioner unit. Last night it happened again, and when I pulled the now completely and totally ruined carpet back, there was more water than before. I had to pull carpet up in the hallway and in the office. When I got down to the foundation, I noticed that it had a crack that basically went around the entire area where the water was coming from, as if the crack were a circle drawn around the still elusive source of the water, which is behind a wall.

Last night, TH did some research, and thinks he has figured it out. Apparently, when a foundation settles, as ours clearly has, it can potentially bust the pipes that are coming up into the house through the concrete of the foundation. It makes perfect sense. The bad news is that they have to bust up the foundation around that area, replace the pipe, pour new concrete, and then you have to hire someone else to come in and do something else to the foundation to make sure it's even. At least that's my understanding of the process.

It sounds impossibly expensive, doesn't it? So yeah, it'll be good if I can get my name on a dotted line soon. That seems to be on the brink of happening. I'll know more later today. This is the first time I've been able to breathe a hopeful little sigh of relief in six weeks. Let's hope it's not a false alarm.

Yea about the job prospect!

One of the joys of home ownership - seems that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong - usually at the worst possible time. Seems like every time I think I'm about to get a little ahead, something tears up, blows up or starts leaking.

I can't wait to hear about the job!! Awesome!!

Good and bad news about the leak. At least you can get it fixed and be done with it. Have you checked your homeowner's policy?? Maybe you can get some help there. Good luck!!

a: Preemptive congratulations. I feel it in my bones that you shall be victorious, or return on your shield...

b: I feel your pain. I had just spent over 2K on plane tickets and hotel rooms for our extended vacation, and then got to replace my complete A/C unit. Granted, it should last another 20 years, but it sure sucks!

Yay on the job! We knew you could do it. I was just on the verge of telling you to move up here to NC; the high school where I attended lost about 30 teachers to a new high school, and is freaking about replacing them.

Good idea about the homeowners'; you never know when they'll come in handy.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health