« Home | The Honest Interviewer » | Let's make a day of it » | countdown to anniversary #1 » | Three Vultures Collaborate » | Pookie goes to the doctor » | Instant Car-ma » | Exercise Haiku » | Movie Night » | My little pets » | Assholes in the news » 

Sunday, May 27, 2007 

Competition

Bloggers hate weekends. All the readers who usually waste time reading blogs at work are nowhere to be found. This weekend will suck extra, since none of you work slackers will be on the job Monday.

We joined a church, and weren't members for five minutes before someone came up to me, said they'd heard I was a teacher, and asked me if I would work at Vacation Bible School. I loved going to that kind of stuff when I was a kid, but hated helping my mother teach it when I was a teenager. It amounted to babysitting 25 kids for four hours for free, and I absolutely resented being forced to do it. Today I started to tell them that I couldn't do it because I'm not certified in coloring, crafts, or naptime, but I didn't. I agreed to do it, and will be teaching Bible stories to fifth grade boys for a week next month. It was either fifth grade boys or third grade girls, and there is no creature on the earth more needy, whiny, and generally unlikable than the female third grader. Give me the boys, I say.

My search for the perfect vacation destination continues. Stewed Hamm thinks he can help me find a place, and I'll be milking him for information in the near future. For now, this is the most likely prospect. Every time I do a search, I end up pulling this one up again and again. I can't tell much about the cabin from those pics, but it's obviously right by the water, and location is more important than looks or amenities in this case. This place in Branson comes up again and again as well. I think it would be okay to be around 3 other cabins, because most people are going to be gone canoeing during the day anyway, and we might make some friends to grill with at night.

Buckle up. Another sudden change of topic straight ahead.

Last week I went to a job fair, and ran into my niece there. Not my cute 4 year old niece. My 29 year old niece. The one I usually refer to as my sister-in-law because she's a year older than me and calling her my niece is strange. (TH's sisters are my mother's age. He was a late arrival.) Anyway, she quit teaching a year ago because she hated it, but her career switch didn't go as planned and now she's trying to teach again. We interviewed for the same job, and they had each of us sign a letter of intent. She's got more experience than I do. I started to make a joke here about having her killed, but that would be tasteless. Everyone knows I don't have the money.

Think I'll go sell some stuff on Ebay now.

We actually vacationed once in the Hot Springs area on a lake - but it wasn't Lake Catherine, it was several miles further west, for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the lake. We ended up staying at a condo with lake views - they had a motel and cabins, too, if I remember right. One place we ate I do NOT recommend. It just west of HS, I think it was called the "Tiki" or something. I spent the ride home the next day trying not to hurl, running fever, having diarrhea. Went to the ER when I got home. I got oysters, which I should have KNOWN not to order in Arkansas. :-)

Other than that, we had a good time, in spite of all the billboards advertising that Bill Clinton grew up there. On second thought, maybe it wasn't the restaurant that made me sick.

The more I think of it, I think it was Lake Ouachita where we stayed, though I don't recall the name of the specific resort. It was a LONG time ago.

Have you looked at the website for Gaston's Resort in Lakeview, Arkansas, on the White River? It's beautiful and there are fishing guides if you want them. They have a great restaurant, too and cabin.

That's cabins, plural. Didn't want you to think you had to fight for one cabin.

I hope you know that your quest for a quiet cabin prompted me to spend 2 hours last night looking for one myself. I need a vacation soooooooo bad.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health