« Home | Instant Car-ma » | Exercise Haiku » | Movie Night » | My little pets » | Assholes in the news » | What works » | Quick post, because it's on my mind » | After all, it would make for good blogging » | ohmygah » | Burgers, Books, Teacher's Dirty Looks » 

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 

Pookie goes to the doctor

This morning I finished the last of my job applications. I still had a few to mail off-- mostly to places I'd really rather not work. I'm starting to think I'll take what I can get. Should be hearing from Hardknock High tomorrow afternoon.

After I got all of those mailed, I went and bought the new Wilco album. I had been waiting for it to be released, but when it finally came out I never had any money in my pocket when I was near the record store. I also wanted to buy a copy for a friend of mine, because she introduced me to the band years ago, and her birthday was the day after the new album came out. So once I had the cds in hand, it was back to the post office for the second time in one day. I'm a good friend, ain't I? Late birthday gifts are better than no birthday gifts, I guess.

This afternoon I had to take Pookie to the vet. It was his first visit, and all of the girls who work there fell in love with him instantly. I don't know if it's his razor sharp claws or his sweet ninja skills, but he has quite an effect on people. We'll see what they think of him when he weighs twelve pounds and is still putting ninja moves on them. They wanted to test him for a bunch of crap that he probably doesn't need to be tested for. When I asked, the girl said it was gonna cost "about $45," which means that it was really gonna cost about $60. It always works that way. You can safely add at least 33% to whatever number they give you. Sweet Tea, my late Boxer, once needed an x-ray that was "about $75," except that it was more like $120. (God rest her precious little dog soul.) The Pook has to return to the vet again in three weeks.

I still miss my dog a lot sometimes, but I have to admit that having such a low maintenance pet is much easier. Of course, Pookie can't be trained to sit or stay or fetch, and he probably wouldn't attack a burglar to defend me, but he's cute, he comes when he's called, and he hasn't chewed through any doors, forced me to take him for long walks three times a day, or mistaken two humans having sex for two humans who want to wrestle with the dog, and jumped in.

As for his relationship with Millay, it's about the same. She's no longer clobbering him every time she sees him, but she wants nothing to do with him. She's always been fairly antisocial, and will probably never fully embrace him, but I'm sure he'll keep trying. I've gotta say I admire his determination-- and his capacity for forgiveness.

The Pook rocks.

I hear you!! I was told that my dog's teeth needed to be cleaned - "it's only $35.00" (this was 15 years ago). When I went to pick her up from the vet I owed them $75.00.... imagine my surprise!! See - it really did cost $35.00 to have her teeth cleaned - they just neglected to inform me of the $40.00 it costs to but them under for the procedure. Needless to say I never went back there and I bad mouthed them to everyone I knew every chance I got!

You did the right thing Julie! Hiding some fees just to get lot of customers is not far from fooling your customer..what a shame!!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health