« Home | My little pets » | Assholes in the news » | What works » | Quick post, because it's on my mind » | After all, it would make for good blogging » | ohmygah » | Burgers, Books, Teacher's Dirty Looks » | Jimmy ray done got that GED, gone get him a job at... » | Still not a cat blog » | A long way to go » 

Sunday, May 20, 2007 

Movie Night

Last night we rented movies. The local Blockbuster is fairly small, never has anything good on the shelf, and the children who work there are smartasses, so we don't go there. We go to Movie Gallery. They always have more stuff available, and they also sell their used movies and games for cheaper than Blockbuster. Plus they have a 4 for 4 deal, where we can get four movies for four nights. I don't know why we care about that, because we never manage to watch all four, but TH is incapable of renting fewer than four at a time because of the "deal."

Anyway, we each picked one that the other didn't care to see, and then we picked two that we both wanted to see. The two we agreed on were The Last King of Scotland, and Borat.

We watched Borat last night. It was depressing how much time he spent in Mississippi-- a lot of the scenes that were attributed to Texas and other states in the story line were actually shot in Mississippi. The part where he goes to the Holiness Church convention, for example. That was in Mississippi, and I know that because Chip Pickering was shown speaking, and he's one of our Congressmen. I can't imagine why he'd be sucking up to church members in Texas. Also, a woman who The Husband works with is a snake charmer Holiness church member, and she claims she was there when that happened.

I guess he had a much easier time getting acceptance around here, what with all our hospitality. The New Yorkers told him to f*ck off. (New Yorkers are assholes, you know.)

The movie was worth watching, but I didn't think it was as hilarious as everyone claimed.

We just finished watching The Last King of Scotland, and it was disappointing, in my opinion. When making a movie about a dictator who killed 300,000 people, it would be better to focus at least some of the film on that, instead of just hinting at it and then flashing text on the screen at the end of the movie to say how many people he killed. The whole story is about this naive doctor who he almost kills, and in the background of that is this story about him murdering citizens. Then at the end, it's like, "Oh yeah, by the way, while he was playing house with this doctor, he also happened to kill 300,000 people."

It just sucked. I think Hollywood liked it because it was about Africa, and you know how those rich twats love to pretend to give a sh*t about Africa and all the suffering that goes on there.

Earlier this afternoon, we watched the movie that TH picked out. The one I didn't want to see. It was American Hardcore: The History of American Punk Rock. I didn't watch the entire thing, because I was cleaning the house, but I did take a few short breaks to watch the good parts. TH seemed to enjoy it.

The movie I picked out is The Good Shepherd. I love prison movies and spy movies and movies about the government being sneaky, and I think this is a government-being-sneaky movie, so I should enjoy it. I'll be watching it tomorrow while TH is at work.

We went to church tonight (no, really, we did!) and ran into some woman that TH went to high school with. No pressure there. Just his former school mates gathered around me to look and judge and see how he did in the lady department. He was such a hometown hero in his day. Valedictorian, most likely to succeed, blah blah BLAH. Me? I barely got out of high school, then I barely got out of college. I was nominated for funniest freshman, but didn't win, and if I had been voted anything else, it probably would have been most likely to get kicked out of rehab. I'm certain that my former school mates watch Intervention, convinced that they're eventually going to see me.


See? If I made it, I know the little junkies at the alternative school have a shot. Speaking of which, I should be getting a few job related calls this week. If I don't, y'all are going to witness what happens when I'm under too much strain.

I was so disappointed in Borat. I kept threatening to get up and leave, but my husband kept asking me to stay. I watched a lot of it with my hand over my mouth. Or eyes.

My main complaint about Hollywood is they can't seem to make movies with the lights on. What's with all these dark, dark movies?

BETTY- THANK YOU! I just finished watching (more like suffering through) The Good Shepherd. I could barely see what was happening half the time, and the other half, I couldn't hear. I got so frustrated with it that I went back to the menu and turned on the subtitles halfway through the movie, but by that time I had missed too much pertinent info, and never caught up. Very frustrating.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health