« Home | ohmygah » | Burgers, Books, Teacher's Dirty Looks » | Jimmy ray done got that GED, gone get him a job at... » | Still not a cat blog » | A long way to go » | No Uranus Jokes. I promise. » | Love? Check. Happiness? Check. Integrity? Int... » | "Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you t... » | The Rainy Day and the Endangered Anus » | Gene Pool Puddle » 

Thursday, May 17, 2007 

After all, it would make for good blogging

A few days ago, I was called by a school district about 40 miles from here, and they scheduled me for a job interview. The lady gave me directions to the school, the name of the school, and the name of the principal. I went to their district's website to get an idea of what kind of place it was, because I had never heard of that particular school. I thought perhaps they didn't understand that I can only teach 7th to 12th graders, and that it was an elementary school or something, because the name of the school was unusual. On their website, there was no information about that particular school or that particular administrator. In fact, there was no information about the school anywhere on the web. I thought maybe it was a new school, and maybe she was a new principal.

When I walked in the front door, there was a man standing at the front desk, and the first thing I noticed was that he had a gun on his hip. He was calling out orders at a gaggle of children in the hallway. It was clear that this wasn't a regular school. Turns out, it was an alternative school. The end of the line for kids who have been kicked out. They go there for a while, and the goal is to eventually get them back into regular school. It's run in a more bootcampish mode, from what I could tell. I'm talking metal detectors, daily body searches, and armed receptionists.

When I first realized where I was, I thought That lady could've at least told me this before she sent me here. But now I'm glad she didn't, because I might not have even gone. Maybe the principal used some hypnosis technique on me or something because this is not the kind of job I was looking for, but as we sat and talked, I started to consider it.

It can't be any harder than what I've already done. In fact, I imagine it would be better. The district where I previously worked did not have an alternative school, nor did they kick students out for any reason. In other words, the worst of the worst were there anyway, except nobody was acknowledging that there was anything wrong, and they definitely weren't doing anything to cut down on the chaos or create a structured environment where teachers could manage the chaos. The school was more similar to a zoo than to a bootcamp. At least in this setting, it's very structured, and they're not taking any crap from the kids.

They didn't offer me the job, but if they do, I'll consider it. My guess is that they probably will offer it to me. Teachers aren't exactly fighting over jobs in alternative schools. Of course, Dream High School still hasn't told me whether I got that job or not but my hope is beginning to dwindle. I hope they let me know before I hear back from Hardknock High.

Having known you for the last few years under a couple names :) I think this would be a perfect fit for you AND the kids you would be teaching. Also - I bet you would get the backup from the school that lacks in "regular" schools. I am not sure about where you are but we have an awesome alternative school in our district - it is for kids that can be trouble but have not been expelled from the district. The classes are smaller, structured and the kids are on tight leashes or they are GONE! You have a knack for the quirky and I bet those kids would love having you as a teacher. Good luck - I know something is going to come through for you soon!!

About a fourth of my students have been to alternative school. Ours is not such a big deal--no guards or anything. I have rarely had a problem with them. Just the usual crap that the other kids try, too. As long as you treat them like humans, but don't take any sh*t from them, they are fine.

My mom had a friend who had a nervous breakdown teaching elementary school. She recovered and taught GED classes at a medium security prison. She said she was quite comfortable teaching in the prison. The guys behaved, because if they didn't, they couldn't come back. Not that alternative school students are prisoners, or anything.

Keep applying. Something will open up for you.

As much as we all enjoy your stories of Coach Limpdick, Lockdown High sounds more like a school you want to be in... at least from the administration side of things. Although, I suppose it would depend on how quickly they try to transition the kids from Lockdown HS to regular school. It would be a headache to have kids coming in and out of your class every week.

Julie-- That sounds like what they've got going on in the school I'm talking about. It seemed pretty rigid.

HBMom-- I don't think all the kids in there are there for serious things. She said they currently have a 6th grader who was there for taking a pocket knife to school. Boys carry pocket knives around here. Well, they USED to, before Columbine and all that. Now they go to alternative school for carrying pocket knives. You get the point.

Funny how elementary school drove her to have a breakdown, but prison is better, huh? I believe it.

Hamm-- I only met the principal, and she had a lot more common sense than LD ever did. Alot more spine, too, from what I could tell. Anytime you're working in a school, there's going to be bureaucratic kudzu. That's the nature of working for the government. It's working with someone who has common sense that either makes you or breaks you. I don't think it would be as bad as working with LD. I think this lady would have my back. LD's method was to run and hide, then blame the teachers for what the students did, etc.

I agree it would suck to have kids coming in and out, so I asked about it. The kids have to stay for a minimum of one 9 week term, and can't leave in the middle of the term.

Think about what this means for testing and all that! The student's teacher at the regular school is the one who's going to be held responsible for the kids' scores. :) No pressure!

Oh, I think you should take the alternative school, for our entertainment pleasure! :-)

I've said this to you and to Hillbilly Mom numerous times - I would never be able to do what y'all do. Sounds to me like, as Hamm called it, Lockdown High would be a pretty good school to teach in. I'm sure the stories we'd all hear would be utterly charming!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health