« Home | Fish Theory » | Pass the birth control pills, please » | The nastiest thing that has ever happened to me » | Quick Update » | Laundromat gringos » | Minding Mice at a Crossroads » | Wanted: Handyman. Or an Ark. Whichever. » | And the juggling act begins » | Lines composed over a bucket of ice cream » | Plugging Leaks » 

Sunday, June 17, 2007 

Teacher fever

I am so flippin PUMPED about my new job. WoohooOooooo!!!!!! I still haven't signed a contract, but only because there are a few hoops that I'm required to jump through. Trust me, I'm jumping my little heart out, and it will be resolved by the end of this week.


Tonight I was in Wal Mart (I'm there almost every day now, it seems) and I saw a magazine that had an article in it that I thought would be acceptable spare-time reading material for the young 'uns, so I picked it up. It was this article in Ebony magazine, and the cashier looked at me like I was breaking some kind of law when she got to it in my long string of things for her to ring up. It's above their heads, but they'll read it anyway because it's in Ebony. I confiscated many an issue of Ebony last year.

After going to Wal Mart, I had to go to Office Depot to get a new ink cartridge for my ink guzzling all-in-one printer contra0-----------------------p[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Damn cat.

...printer contraption, that is. While I was there, I started getting the fever. The teacher fever. It makes me want to buy things that I might possibly be able to use in my classroom. All year long last year, I picked up little things here and there for my young 'uns. Things to reward them with, books for them to read, crossword puzzles, things for them to do when their work was done or they finished a test early, etc. If I had a spare dollar in my pocket, I could barely walk through a place without looking for such goodies. They were essential during the school year, but TH had to shake me real hard in Books-a-Million this past September when I was loading up on things for students that I didn't even have or know if I would ever have again. Now I can buy goodies again without fear of being shaken.

When I got home from Office Depot and Wal Mart, I got online and ordered a subscription to the Jackson magazine. TH likes to read the paper anyway, and I can find articles to use for extra credit assignments and what not. You can never have too many news articles in a jr. high English class.

Teacher Fever probably only happens to us whippersnappers who haven't been at it that long. It'll start to fade by October when I realize how much stuff I HAVE to buy. Hopefully this district will provide me with the basics. Or at least a copier.

It's a disease. I get excited thinking about my 'new' job next year, too. I will only have one class that's the same as last year, my 9th grade math. I'm going to have Physics and Biology. I'm already thinking about lab stuff, and how I want to grade, and the tests I need to make up, etc.

I love Office Max. It's like crack for nerds. My son's lifelong goal is to get a job there when he's 16.

I'm not even a teacher but I LOVE those stores :) I am really happy for you - especially that you don't have to commute so far.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health