« Home | Teacher fever » | Fish Theory » | Pass the birth control pills, please » | The nastiest thing that has ever happened to me » | Quick Update » | Laundromat gringos » | Minding Mice at a Crossroads » | Wanted: Handyman. Or an Ark. Whichever. » | And the juggling act begins » | Lines composed over a bucket of ice cream » 

Monday, June 18, 2007 

Plague of the Many Mini Forests

This morning I went and mailed off some things related to the hoop jumping I'm doing, and didn't do much for the rest of the day. It stormed here briefly, and then rained steadily for a few hours after that. It was good napping weather, but I couldn't even nap because I had such a bad headache.

I spent a couple of hours looking at the state curriculum and reading about classroom management, because I want to be in control on day one. My first year would've been a lot easier if I'd walked in with confidence, but I didn't. This year, I definitely will. Even if I don't feel confident, I'll totally fake it. As I read, I suddenly started getting a little nervous. I had forgotten how much there is to manage. With only one year under my belt, I'm still not sure exactly how I want to do certain things. I know I'm supposed to be consistent and appear to know what I'm doing, because the little boogers can smell fear. That's hard because you never know how well something is going to work until you try it, and sometimes you have to change things around.

Anyway, after my headache finally subsided, I went outside to cut down some branches off some trees. In our back yard there are about 10 or 12 pines, and TH never mows around them when he does the yard. I can only assume this is because some of the branches are so low that he can't get under there on the gigantic lawn mower, so he just gets as close as he can, tells himself he'll come back through with the push mower or the weed eater, and then never does. It is a lot of work to drag that push mower all over the yard, and our weed eater is an uncooperative pain in the butt.

The areas directly beneath the trees have been neglected for so long now that there are little mini forests growing under them. It looked horrible. A few had bushes and things growing under them that were so big I had to saw through mini trunks to get rid of them. I cut down all of the mini forests and cut away all the limbs that were hanging low enough to smack TH in the head when he's mowing. Now he can get right up around every tree when he mows, and we won't have a dozen mini forests in our back yard. Eventually I am going to put mulch around all of the trees, and we won't have to worry about mowing right up next to them and running over roots with the mower and all that stuff. TH is anal about his mower blade. Then again, TH is anal about so many things...

It occurred to me that there might be a specific time of year or a specific method you're supposed to use when you cut branches from a tree, so it's possible that I've just killed all of ours. The forestry people say you're supposed to cut low branches though, and I don't think they'd lead me astray. I guess if all our trees die we won't have anything to mow around. TH has always said he wants a parking lot for a yard. He seriously considered buying a house that had just that-- the entire front yard was covered in black top. It went all the way from the street to the front door. It wasn't a small yard, either. Six acres, and not a blade of grass in sight, except in the back yard. It was a very weird place way out in the country. Gotta love South Mississippi.

I'm not sure about your trees, but my hubby just cut a couple of truckloads of low branches off the trees in our yard. It hasn't killed any of them yet when he finally gets around to cutting them down. Especially not the ones I would like to die (sigh).

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health