« Home | It Ain't My Fault » | The past, the present, and the stuff in between » | I'm on Meth » | Even ninjas need their rest » | Plumbing in Progress » | I always knew I was a deviant » | Best Laid Plans » | Holiday Sugar High Movie Review » | The Crotchety Pirate » | Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired » 

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 

Meanie Vents

Today started with such hope. I hoped to work in the flower bed and/or mow the mini forests with the push mower. I hoped that while I was doing that, TH would be finishing the back yard with the giant riding mower (I did the front yard yesterday). I hoped the plumber would come back as promised to finish the job he began a full week ago.

TH sorta refused to do much today. He said he deserved to lie around because he works hard. I suppose we all need a lazy day here and there, but he just had one yesterday, and we have crap to do. Lots of crap to do. I know I'm a hypocrite for being frustrated with him about it, because there are many, many times that I'm too lazy to get off my butt and make things happen. But lately, the to-do list has really started to pile up, due in part to the fact that we're unable to do any laundry at the house or do any yard work because of the daily rain showers. I had hope for catching up on some things today.

A week or so ago, I fertilized fewer than half the shrubs and plants, and they've been due for a few weeks now. It's harder than it sounds, because you have to push back the mulch-- preferably without causing it to slide off the bed and into the grass which is freakin' impossible, by the way-- and then pull back the black sheet between the dirt and the mulch to reach the soil below the plant. You have to pull the black sheet back pretty far, because you can't put the fertilizer right by the plant's stem. It's hard to accomplish this without completely destroying how things look.

Anyway, we have probably 30 or 40 plants, and I got to approximately number 10 before the inevitable happened. I had just thought to myself that it was fairly likely, and I was right. Think about it. I'm pulling back a few inches of nice, cooling mulch as well as a tight layer of sheeting from the cool, moist soil. Oh, and this is under the shade of the bushes, where it's cool compared to the rest of the yard. It doesn't take a genius, or even a science teacher, or even a very smart person to know what kinds of things like those conditions.

Yep, I uncovered a snake. It was a tiny little green and black thing, and probably harmless, but that didn't keep me from screaming and jumping over a row of bushes while having a mild heart attack. I wasn't nearly as afraid of snakes when I lived in north Mississippi as I am down here. They have freakin' rattlesnakes here, and fire ants that can ruin your day no, your week MONTH.

After the snake, I did a few of the small plants on the edge of the bed where I was fairly certain there were no reptiles waiting to bite me, but I was a little burned out on the whole job of fertilizing the plants after the snake, to be honest. Screw plants. And snakes. Besides, the job is a two person job. You need one person to hold the sheet back while you dig in and fertilize, because you can't hold it back yourself without sending mulch everywhere or fumbling and dropping the cup of fertilizer all in one spot.

So fertilizing the remaining 30 plants is pretty high on the list of things to do, and it's a job that will take some time and energy.

The mowing of the back yard is another. Those mini forests still haven't been touched, and frankly, it's really beginning to piss me the **** off. I am clearing those damn mini forests tomorrow, come hell or high water! (Or snakes!) And I'm mowing the back yard. And if the plumber is upset that I'm not accessible to him while he works, he can suck it. He was supposed to be here today -- oh no, wait, yesterday SUNDAY to finish. I sat around and waited, only for him to not show up, then call in the late afternoon to FINALLY inform me that the rain has caused him to get behind. I have crap to do too, and it would be nice if he would handle his crap in a way that it didn't make me get behind on my crap.

Crap!

Don't even let me get started on the laundry. I would take a picture of the pile of dirty laundry in our bedroom and post it, but I'm too embarrassed. It's that bad. It's almost as tall as I am, and it's spilled out onto most of the dressing room floor and there's more in the bedroom. Actually, there's more in all of the bedrooms, the laundry room, and even the living room. And both of the beds currently have dirty sheets, and that's not going to change because I don't have any clean ones to replace them with. Every day I expect to be able to get started on it, but every day the plumber puts us off until a tomorrow that never comes.

I hate housework. Having to do it on a daily basis sucks bad enough. Having it pile up so that there's a monumental amount of it just setting there staring at me? Makes me want to vomit.

You need a GOOD friend close by with a washer and dryer who will let you come visit and wash clothes. You could offer her/him your firstborn in return - or, at the very LEAST, a casserole or a cake.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health