« Home | Things I've Learned » | Thanksgiving » | Four-Play (the meme) » | It's not that I can't sleep... » | My son, the prankster » | Diary of a Sleepy Momma » | BLAH! » | My Life of Leisure » | Random Thought Whenever » | If it's too good to be true... » 

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 

Random Thought Whenever

*My dad had surgery on his neck last week. He had a ruptured something or other, and they replaced it with a dead guy's neck bone. Mom says he's doing fine. Now my sister is the only one of our immediate family who hasn't had surgery this year, but there are still more than 3 weeks left, so she'd better be careful.

**Even years are good, and odd years are bad. Remember 2005? I got fired from my job on January 4th, and it was down hill from there. Tim's mom died, Hurricane Katrina hit, I spent the first half of the year in my mom's basement and the second half in Yazoo Shitty. That was one mean year. The worst of my life so far. The good-bad pattern has been rather consistent since then, with 06 being better and 07 being worse, so I'm mourning the end of 2008 and anxiously waiting to see what horrors lie around the bend for 2009.

***We finally bought a new dining room table today. It's pretty sweet. It's a counter height table, it's square but has rounded edges that pop up to make it round (and bigger). It's big enough for 4 chairs without the rounded leaves up, and big enough for 8 with them up. We bought 6 chairs. It's got a built-in granite lazy susan and a really cool storage thing underneath it. I'll post pictures when it gets delivered. Or you could just click here.

****We took Charlie on his first trip into public. He went to the furniture store with us. We knew what we wanted, so we weren't in there long, and I figured there couldn't be many grabby people in a furniture store in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. I hear horror stories about people being accosted by grabbers when they take their babies out in public. I may break some old lady's arm if it reached for my baby, which is the #2 reason I have vowed not to take him out before he's officially considered old enough to have a decent immune system. (The #1 reason would be all the bugs floating around that could potentially kill a tiny baby.) Fortunately, there weren't any grabbers, and the salesman just peered in through the little window on top of the stroller, so I was able to get my new furniture and get back home without catching any assault charges.

*****A coworker/semi-boss from work called me today. I didn't answer, but she left a message inviting me to the English Department's Christmas party. Isn't that sweet? I was flattered that they actually called to make sure I knew about it. It almost makes me feel bad about the fact that I'm seriously considering not going back in January. I reckon I'll be going to the party if Tim's off work, and I think he is.

******Speaking of the changes to come in January, I spoke with the babysitter yesterday. I needed to make sure we're still on, for one thing, because she and her husband have both been having some serious health problems lately. I also wanted to find out where she planned to let Charlie sleep when he's there, because I didn't see a crib anywhere. Turns out she buys all her new babies a play pen to sleep in. That's cool. I just needed her to set my mind at ease, because I was imagining her putting him down on her bed, and that won't work. Ryan's other grandmother (not my mom) put him down on her bed when he was little, and if someone hadn't gone in to check on him he would've died. The young'un had managed to roll over and get his face mashed into the thick blankets, and he was blue when they found him.

*******My only doubt about going back to work is how we will feed Charlie. Mrs. Babysitter was telling me that a lot of people will feed formula during the day and breast feed at night. But I don't want to feed formula at all before he's 3 months old at least, preferably 6 months old, and I can't pump out enough milk ahead of time to send enough to the babysitter's with him. At this point I'm only producing what he needs, and it's not available before it's needed, so I can't pump it out ahead of time because it's just not there yet. And there's the little problem of the fact that Mr. Charles loves the booby. It's not just the contents of the booby that he wants, but also the booby itself. Breastmilk through a bottle will fill his belly, but he'll still cry for more until he gets the actual boob. He'll latch on there for a minute or two, not really consuming anything but just nursing for the comfort of it I guess, and then he'll be okay.

He doesn't do this every time we feed him from a bottle-- in fact, it's rare-- but when he does, there's no satisfying him until he gets the boob. He did it this morning. My dear, sweet husband got up with him so I could get some rest. Tim gave him his regular 4 ounces of pre-pumped breastmilk from a bottle, but Charlie wouldn't stop crying, even with a full belly. Tim changed him, swaddled him, checked every possible thing that could be wrong with him, and couldn't get him to stop crying. Finally, after a long time of trying, Tim came to me, defeated. I couldn't find anything wrong with him, either. When all else fails, give him a booby, right? So that's what I did. His tense little body instantly relaxed, and he was happy after two minutes of nursing. He couldn't have been hungry, and he didn't consume much milk, if any. He just wanted to latch onto a boob, and then he was good.

********So what's gonna happen when me and my boobs go back to work?? I know he'll get over it after a few days, but with him only being 2 months old then, I don't think I should take the boobs away yet. He'll still be young enough that I think a little booby attachment is perfectly normal. It's probably even a good thing, and I don't want to tear him away just yet. And I sure as hell don't want to feed him formula-- not in the daytime or the night time or ever, thank you. I don't know a single formula-fed kid who didn't have a host of health issues.

You just can't beat boobies.

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health