« Home | Diary of a Sleepy Momma » | BLAH! » | My Life of Leisure » | Random Thought Whenever » | If it's too good to be true... » | Thirty Pounds in Thirty Minutes » | Quickie » | Blame it on the hormones. » | You know you want more Charlie » | Charlie is here. » 

Monday, November 24, 2008 

My son, the prankster

Charlie pulled a mean joke on me this morning. He woke up at 7:00, fussing. It had only been 2 hours since he last ate, so I gave him some gas drops, which I always do first thing in the morning because that seems to be when he fusses with gas. I also changed his poopy diaper, swaddled him tightly, and then put him back to bed. But he wasn't having it. He kicked, he fussed, he spit his binky out so angrily that it landed at his feet. After putting him off for half an hour, I finally fed him, even though it wasn't time. He seemed content after booby time, then dozed off. I put him back to bed. As soon as I did, he woke up, and started whining again. I begged him for one more hour of sleep, but he wouldn't listen. So at 8:00, I got up with him.

As soon as we were walking down the hallway toward the living room, he was thrilled. He started smiling, which warmed my heart so well that I almost didn't need a cup of coffee to get going. Little did I know that the little booger was smiling because I had taken the bait.

I put him in his carseat on the couch, covered him with a little blanket, and headed to the kitchen. Four minutes later, I was back with my cup of coffee--- the one, cherished cup of coffee that I allow myself to have, so that the young 'un doesn't get too much caffeine. I made it extra strong today.

Coffee time has become something of a routine for me and Charlie. He sits in his carseat next to me and gazes contentedly while I sip the first half of my cup of coffee. About halfway through my coffee, he wants to be held. He usually gets the hiccups around this time, so I pick him up and let him lie on my chest while I pat him on the back. Normally, he just calms down and then goes back to his carseat where he chills out for another hour or so. We usually listen to music and talk a little bit during this time. By the time I get back to my cup of coffee, it's cold, so I only get half a cup each morning.

But not today. No, that wasn't part of his plan. Today he let me finish the entire cup before he wanted to be held. And instead of staying up for another hour, this morning he went straight back to sleep during back-rubbing-hiccup-soothing time.

Lemme run ya back through that again. At 8:00, I was leaning over his bassinet, bags under my eyes, having had about 4 hours of sleep total-- begging, pleading with him to give me one more hour of sleep. I promised him ice cream, petting zoos, and trips to Toys R Us. No deal. So at 8:05, I was walking down the hallway with him, thinking we were up for the day. And at 8:30, he was asleep again, having let me finish the entire cup of coffee.

Since then I've been sitting on the couch, wired for 220, while he and Tim sleep peacefully.

Prankster.

HA! Just when you think you've got them figured out :)

Ah, even the LITTLE men know how to manipulate.

So what you're saying is that he takes after his mom.

Julie-- Amen to that.
Damn Yank-- Amen to that too.

Stewed Hamm-- My parents always liked to say, "I hope I live long enough to see your kids do half the shit to you that you've done to me." Hopefully I have already made a few payments on my karmic debt by way of the little angels that I work with.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health