« Home | Nerves. » | Teachers Who Blog » | Poem » | Tired of being tired » | I hate everyone. » | Ann Busts a Gut » | Overheard in the Junior High » | No rest for the pregnant » | Forrest General is Trying to Kill My Husband » | Ann wakes up grumpy, with a vision to save the world. » 

Saturday, October 04, 2008 

Insomniac on Duty

I guess Hillbilly Mom finally had to get some sleep, because I'm apparently on duty. See, the world is not safe without one of us watching over it. I get the 3:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. watch while HM catches some z's. Or maybe Tim just woke me up when he came to bed at 2 freakin' 30 after spending all night watching a werewolf movie. He probably sat here drinking Diet Coke during the entire thing, which would explain why he tossed and turned until I woke up at 3:15, then he tried to act like my tossing and turning was keeping him up. Hello, mister! I went to bed at 9:00! I finally got tired of lying wide awake and listening to him sigh heavily in my general direction, so I decided to get up. Now he's snorin', so maybe it was my fault after all.

We have a baby shower to go to today. His sisters insisted on throwing us a shower, except it's not so much a shower as it is an organized gathering for people to gawk at us. I'm sorry, but if the men are invited, I don't count it as a shower. They've rented out the American Legion and invited half the county. I don't know any of these people-- just a handful-- and am getting flashbacks of the wedding reception we were given in his hometown two weeks after the wedding. Three hours of standing around in uncomfortable shoes, forcing myself to smile and hug old ladies I'd never seen before. Old ladies who might be offended that I won't remember them this go 'round even though they gave us casserole dishes and such last time.

God. I dread having to open all the presents, hold up all the little blue outfits and pretend to be as amazed with the fiftieth as I was with the first. But worse than that, I dread the damn thank you cards this will force me to write.

And yes, I fully understand that I am an ungrateful bitch for being so burdened by the fact that people want to throw us a party so they can give us stuff. I know. I'm grateful. I'm just also very tired. Tired in general, tired of planning, tired of waiting, tired of being pregnant, tired of people I don't know smiling at me excitedly. I don't know what to say to people. What do they want me to say when they ask how I feel? I want to say, "How the hell do you think?"

I should be happy. We have everything we need, or at least we think we have everything we need. Of course, the crib isn't here yet, even though I ordered it from Wal Mart.com over two weeks ago. It took it that long to get from Palestine, TX to Brookhaven, MS, and is now apparently setting on a truck in Jackson. The official status, according to the website, is that it left Jackson yesterday at noon and is "in route to store." Uhhh, NO. It only takes 2 hours to get from Jackson to Petal, and that's if you're dragging your ass. So it's NOT still in route. Maybe it's there and they haven't updated the tracking info yet. I could've gone and picked it up myself in the time it's taking them.

The changing table that we ordered with it has been in the stock room of the local Wal Mart for over a week. It's probably been getting kicked around the whole time, but we wanted to pick them both up at the same time instead of making two trips. Practically every customer review on the website said that their ordered items had missing or broken pieces. I'm gonna be pissed the eff off if I have to send this thing back with broken pieces. You can't just walk into a store and get a crib. The only ones anyone has in stock are either the cheapest ones out there, or the most expensive ones out there. We're more middle-of-the-road kinda people. I see no reason to put my baby to sleep in something that cost $99 and looks like it might fall apart at any moment, but I'm not going to spend $500 on a crib either. That is innnnnn SANE.

Well, my watch duty ends in 9 minutes. Think I'll duck out early.

Thank the Gummi Mary, nothing happened in that 9 minutes. I would hate to place a note of such dereliction of duty in your permanent record.

You sound like Miranda on Sex and the City, when she had to get Carrie to stop everybody from getting emotional when she was having her baby - and wanted fried chicken at her shower. This, too shall pass.

When my daughter was pregnant, we went to Woodland (somewhere north of Ackerman) where they have this big furniture place in an old school building. They had one entire room of baby furniture - cribs that would morph into youth beds, then full sized beds, changing tables, dressers, toy chests, you name it. It was amazing. It's a great place to get furniture, but then you have to have a truck to haul it yourself. The day we went to get ours, it was pouring rain, so we had to buy a tarp from them to cover it with. They did cover it well, and tied it down for us, and we made it back with no broken pieces.

Hope your stuff arrives the same way. If it doesn't, maybe you can threaten THEM with rectal swabs.

I'm certainly crossing my fingers that everything arrives soon.

I've had quite a few close friends and family have children in the last couple of years and all of them have ultimately felt the same towards the end of the pregnancy; yes it was and is a wonderful journey, but the last few weeks with all the tiredness and the aching you just want it to be over. And you say to the idea of another child "hell to the no" and then you and your husband meet the little person you made and the feeling creeps back again pretty quickly...

I will pray that everything goes to plan :-)

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health