« Home | Overheard in the Junior High » | No rest for the pregnant » | Forrest General is Trying to Kill My Husband » | Ann wakes up grumpy, with a vision to save the world. » | Did I mention that my head hurts? » | Long Weekend » | Va-jay-jay » | Three-fer: Childbirth class. Aunt C Update. Mom's... » | Nothin' like the real thing » | RNC » 

Thursday, September 25, 2008 

Ann Busts a Gut

I have a freakin' hernia. I knew something wasn't right when I pulled myself to an upright position from lying down and saw a softball sized and shaped wad of something poke out of the center of my belly. Another clue was that it hurt like hell, and that it got worse when I would walk, even for short distances sometimes.

Knowing that freakish things happen to pregnant bodies, I didn't worry too much. I asked the doctor about it today. He had me lie down then sit up while he pushed on my belly and asked if it hurt. Um, yes, it hurt. He said it's really common to have a hernia during pregnancy because the abdominal muscles are pulled apart anyway, and that there's really no need to worry. It'll probably "fix itself" after I have the baby, and there's no reason to do anything to fix it before then.

Okay. If he says so. But I have to say, I'm just as skeptical that my guts are going to magically un-protrude from my abdominal wall as I am that all the pushing of labor isn't going to make it worse. I'll keep my mouth shut for now and assume medical school taught him something, even though my recent experiences with medical professionals have knocked a major dent in my confidence in them.

My daughter had a hernia - can't recall the medical term for it - but her belly button stuck out until she was around 1, I think. Our doctor doesn't want you to do anything like taking drugs or having surgery unless you absolutely have to, so of course he told us that it would go away on its own and to let it go. My mother-in-law said that my hubby did the same thing, and the doctors (or someone) told her to tape a silver dollar on it to make it go back in. I left it alone, and it went away when he said it would. I was never so glad for anything. It stuck out like a very, very pregnant's woman's bellybutton.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health