« Home | RNC » | Showered. » | Found it. » | Drama at my Momma's » | Gustav, you bastard! » | Don't say I didn't warn you. » | McCain-Who? » | Offender Update » | I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on... » | Quickie. » 

Thursday, September 04, 2008 

Nothin' like the real thing

No substitute can do my job the way I can do my job. When I walked into my room this morning, it took me about two seconds of looking around to get good and pissed off. A poster was torn off the wall, books were in the floor, chairs were turned over, some magazines were missing, some things that were stored in boxes on private shelves were strewn about the room, English binders that are supposed to be stored in specific containers were everywhere, papers on the floor, a garbage can was overturned....

How shitty of a sub do you have to be, really? I mean exactly how little control does a person have over a class when they're tearing posters off the walls and turning over trash cans!? There have been days in my teaching career-- especially that unforgettable first year-- when I came closer to being duct taped to a chair than I care to admit. I've had lots of days that end with them running out of the room and me standing around staring at destruction but being too busy thanking God they were gone to bother pushing the chairs back up to the tables. Hell, the little f*ckers locked me out of the room TWICE on my third day of being a teacher. So yeah, my classes have been out of control. Yet I've never had a poster torn off the wall in my presence, nor have I ever had a child turn over the garbage can into the floor.

If this had happened in the Delta, it wouldn't have surprised me. In fact it did happen every time I was absent. If this had happened last year, it wouldn't have surprised me. I would've been disappointed, but I could see it happening. But this group is better than that. Even though my 7th period class (who was the last one to leave yesterday and no doubt created most of the mess) is the worst one I have, they're still better than that.

Everyone I saw today commented on how out of control the class was yesterday. The teacher next door said they were insanely loud, and that he had peeked through the window to see kids throwing sunflower seeds and going wild. A teacher in another adjoining room said they were so loud she had to come in twice. It was no surprise that the teachers who work nearby heard the chaos, but get this-- the freakin' SECRETARY told me how horrible they were! The SECRETARY! She apparently called down there and the phone was answered by a student (major no-no) who wouldn't put the teacher on the phone.

WHERE THE HELL WAS THE TEACHER!?

It was a male sub, too, and everyone always thinks that men will have more control. HA!

I emailed detailed instructions on classwork for them to do yesterday, along with a homework assignment. The sub was supposed to take the work up. There's a pile of something there, but I have yet to look through it to see who actually did it. I will. And they will be graded. Oh yes, they will be graded! MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!


.....tehehehehwuuAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Unbelievable!!! When I was a kid we might try and throw a paper wad at each other when the subs back was turned... we were some bad asses! Ha ha

What I find really amazing though is the fact that NO ONE intervened - they knew what was going on but did nothing..... I would have walked in and started raising some hell with those kids.

T.G.I.F.

Julie, That is what I was thinking. The secretary said she started to send the principal down there, but "didn't want to undermine the teacher." (UNDERMINE WHAT TEACHER???) I told her I knew what she meant but that if the job wasn't getting done someone needed to speak up. She said if it ever happens again she will. I also plan to communicate this to my team teachers today. They are in the rooms near me and knew it was crazy in there but didn't want to intervene. You can bet your ass if it's happening in their classrooms, I will speak up.

Nice to know your teammates have got your back... or something. Looks like while there's no "I" in team, there's a bigass M-E.

Substituting is definitely not for the faint at heart.

The one time I tried to intervene in a class gone wild, I was verbally attacked in the hallway by the teacher who thought it was fine for her class of seniors to have a party on their last day, while my class of sophomores took the state AP History test. Learned a valuable lesson that day. Some teachers are crazy and better left to the administrators.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health