« Home | Don't say I didn't warn you. » | McCain-Who? » | Offender Update » | I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on... » | Quickie. » | Opening » | Random Thought Whenever » | Baby and stuff. » | The Other Extreme-- A Quick Vent » | First Day of School » 

Sunday, August 31, 2008 

Gustav, you bastard!

I don't know what to do. I'm at my mother's house at the moment, a safe 400 miles north of the coast. However, my home and my husband and my job are 300 miles south of here, a not so safe 80 miles north of the coast. Guess where I'd rather be? Okay, okay, I know there's no place like home....except when Katrina 2.0 is on the way, and then there's no place like your mother's home 300 miles north of home.

:sighhhhhhhhhh:

I feel like a coward. Maybe I should hop in the car and go home so at least there will be someone there to throw down towels if the chimney leaks again like it did in Katrina (not that the towels helped, mind you) or to take care of the dogs, who may have to be left outside if I'm not there. Tim works at the hospital, and has been told that he probably won't be allowed to leave for a minimum of 48 hours after the storm hits. So if he's at work for two days straight, the dogs can't be left in their crates in the laundry room that entire time. But if they're outside and 150 mph winds come through, they may not be happy. But I don't WANNNNAAA go home and be 8 months pregnant with no electricity or water just so the dogs will be able to stay inside. I wanna stay up here and be 8 months pregnant WITH electricity and hot water.

I wasn't in Hattiesburg during Katrina. I was employed in the Delta that year, remember? So I was in a fishing cabin in the middle of the woods somewhere in Yazoo County-- far north of the coast, and it still sucked. I had all the shutters closed on the cabin, and every time I peeped out, all I could see was a 3 foot high layer of fog traveling across the top of the lake at high speed, and trees leaned over to kiss the ground. It looked like the end of the world, and sounded like it too. Trees were snapping and hitting the ground left and right, and I just knew one was going to crash through on me at any minute. One particularly massive tree split down the middle and fell, and that was a sound I can't even describe. It lasted about 45 seconds, and I swear you could feel it when it hit the ground. Of course, when I finally got to go outside the next day, I saw that it had landed about 25 feet from where I was sitting at the time, so that makes sense. Not one tree hit my humble abode during the storm, which was a true miracle. On all four sides of the cabin, there were fallen trees. I couldn't even drive out of my driveway because of all of them. As far as I could see around me, fallen trees, but none hit my house.

Tim was at home, and he said it was so scary that there were several times he's sure he would've jumped in his truck and tried to leave town if the truck hadn't been broken down. (We had been up here the previous weekend, and as soon as he rolled back into the driveway in Hattiesburg his truck died.) Tim's calm during weather, so if he was scared enough that he really wanted to get the hell out, I can't imagine how bad it must've been. I'm NOT calm during bad weather. I may have seriously come unglued. I can't even medicate myself this time.

I don't wanna go.

He just called and told me he now expects to be off work during the storm, so there will be someone there. I still feel guilty for not wanting to go home. I should be there with him in case it gets bad and I can't get in touch afterwards.

Dammit.

My mother's birthday is tomorrow and I'm taking her to lunch today at 1:00. After that, I'll make a decision. I was leaning towards staying up here until Tim said he'll be at home. I'll feel safer being there as long as he's there with me.

On a brighter note, I totally racked up yesterday at the baby shower. You can't even walk down the hallway right now for the gift bags. A lot of people showed up, and I think every single one of them gave me a bag that had at least 3 or 4 different gifts in it. One of my aunts handmade some cute little burp cloths with embroidered stuff on them, another made a quilt, and one gave me a high chair. Another gave me a cool bouncy chair thing. I already had a high chair and a bouncy chair, but that's not the point. The point is that they hooked me up with sweet stuff. And everyone was so giddy! It wasn't like that at my wedding shower at all. People love babies, don't they?

As everyone was leaving, they each kept saying, "Good luck." That really made it hit home that next time I see them, I'll have a baby. Did you get that? A baby. A miniature person who depends completely on ME to meet all his needs.

Poor thing.

Your safer where you are - it makes sense to stay - especially because you are pregnant! We moved to Florida last summer from California so we traded earthquakes for hurricanes. We were lucky with Fay...

Sounds like you got some cool stuff for the baby!! One thing that saved me was a baby backpack but they have to be able to hold their head up before you can put them in one. LOVED IT!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health