« Home | Stupid Cats and Salesmen » | Five-hundred-dollar elephants » | Shaky » | Blog post about blogging » | Nothing Like the Real Thing » | Breeders » | The cafeteria lady is trying to poison me. » | Countdowns » | Random Thought Whenever: Dogs, carcasses, and cat... » | Update » 

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 

Turnover. And I don't mean fruit.

None of the English teachers are planning on coming back next year. There are about eight of us in the department not counting inclusion teachers. Of those eight, I know for a fact that six do not plan on returning. So maybe two people are staying, or planning to stay. I am one of the two, and the other hasn't said a word about what she plans to do.

I think everyone has at least sought out other opportunities, myself included. I wasn't dying to leave, but then the last month was HELL, and I kept hearing about another possibility, so I applied. When there are 4 positions opening up at the dream school half a mile from your house, you just have to apply. My application probably didn't make it to the principal's desk. He certainly didn't return my phone calls or my email. The word on the street is that they don't even consider applications from teachers with fewer than 5 years of experience, but I'm thinking the retirement of so many of the older teachers combined with the lack of new graduates has to hit even Dream High eventually, and maybe they won't be so picky.

The person I know who works there now told me I should keep calling the principal, but I'm pretty much over it. It's hard to explain, but I just don't feel that it's the right time for a change. Yes, my job is harder than it has to be and that's largely because of where I work. But sometimes you just have to deal with some bullshit for longer than you want. I need to demonstrate some stability since I've not held a job for longer than a year. And I'm pregnant anyway so even if I got the job I'd be out for so much of next year that I wouldn't get to establish myself-- and I'm hoping to take the following year off completely to raise Little Wendol through his/her first year or so. Besides, lots of things are changing at my current school. The principal's leaving, my favorite assistant principal might get the head principal job, and they're moving from a departmentalized model to a middle school model, which will bring some much needed changes. And I MIGHT get to teach one of the higher levels of English next year, especially if all those other teachers really do leave. I think I would be a little less stressed if I had a classroom full of over achievers instead of their polar opposites, who I have to remind to breathe in and out, as Hillbilly Mom likes to say of her boys.

I read it twice, but I didn't see anything about cats. Isn't this a cat blog?

Hush before I claw you.

Hope your wishes for the future come true. You need something good from that school after what you have been through this year.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health