« Home | MO man shoots wife while trying to install satelli... » | This one's for my HATERS! » | Please Pass the Stupid » | The Craziest Yet » | Wanna look at my picture album? » | I think I prefer the stork method. » | 10,000 B.C. » | Stinker. » | Writing on the Wall » | Hate the State » 

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 

Meetings Schmeetings

There are several impending meetings that are making me want to crawl back into bed instead of going to work today. One is with a bully parent, and I'm not sure why the meeting was set up considering that we had a conversation just two weeks ago and I answered all her questions then. Sometimes these people think they can get you in front of your boss and get the upper hand or something. (Silly parents, the boss is almost never there, and the counselor is on my side.)

The other is with another parent who is even less sane-- seriously NOT sane, in fact. I have lots of those. It's a perk that comes with the job of teaching the slow kids. I think it has something to do with how far the apple doesn't fall from the tree.

The third meeting is with the principal, who stopped me in a hallway yesterday and said he needs to meet with me the first chance we get. He didn't say why, but since then I've heard that they're giving out the annual teacher evaluations. He hasn't met with 100% of the teachers, but he's meeting with certain ones. At first I thought he must only be meeting with the ones he needs to bitch at about something, or the people they don't want to hire back. But they met with another English teacher who I know for a fact is top notch. I can't imagine they had very many negative things to say about her. That makes me feel better, but I'm still putting my money on me getting bitched at. Fine. As long as they don't tell me they're not renewing my contract, I don't care what they say. If they DO tell me they're not renewing my contract, I won't be the only one to have a bad day. Considering the way I work for these jackholes and the way they treat us-- if they gave me a notice of non-renewal, I might hafta let 'em know a few things. Sheesh. I can get worked up just thinking about the nerve it would take for them to do that. I'm probably going to leave that meeting in a bad mood anyway, because there's no way he's NOT going to criticize me about something. And when you put up with what I put up with (from the apathetic students AND the anal retentive administration AND the multitudes of crazy parents) it's hard to take criticism without feeling like it's a little unjustified.

Thanks to the mass numbers of retiring baby boomers, I've got a job possibility at a much better place next year. I should stress the word possibility, because that's all it is. Just a door that appears to be cracked open. I wasn't planning on changing jobs with a baby on the way, but this one came to me, so I'm gonna follow through on it and see what develops. Probably nothing, but it would be stupid for me not to pursue it. IF it worked out, it would be the opportunity to teach in a Level 5 school with a fabulous reputation. I might even have some students who want to learn.

It might mean I'd have the chance to actually TEACH, and to be honest, I am either going to find a place that wants a teacher, or I'm going to find another profession, because I can't spend much longer doing what I'm doing. I give a homework assignment and two kids do it. Then they fail the test and who gets blamed? I call a parent for support, and what happens? They break out a voice recorder and aluminum foil and start talking about how the aliens gave their child an F. Or they seem to understand what I'm saying and want to offer support, but two weeks later they call the front office with some outlandish accusation against me. These people listen to their kids. The kid gets in a little hot water at home, and makes up a story about the teacher. Momma sides with the kid. It's scary when you think about it. I've already been accused of calling kids names and cursing at them; what else might I be accused of if I had a child or parent with just the right brand of crazy? What if someone accuses me of something illegal, like some kind of abuse? Or what if someone accuses me of using a racial slur? I'd be screwed.

Not only am I not helping anyone, but I'm risking my own neck and giving myself gray hair. I want out.

When Little Wendol gets here, I will always agree with his/her teacher in front of him/her. I may hate that bitch's guts, and Tim and I may come back here behind a closed door and talk about what a dirty whore she is, but when Little Wendol is listening we'll be in support of the teacher. Little Wendol will do what she says whether I agree with it or not, provided it's not something totally out of line. It's called respecting authority. You have to respect the position of authority whether you like the individual or not. And if Teacher calls home and says Little Wendol isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing, Little Wendol will be the one getting confronted-- not the teacher. If When he tries to shift the blame to Teacher, I'm calling him on it. Bullshit, Little Wendol. The teacher can't make your decisions for you. Even if she does have it out for you, you have to deal with it and do what you're supposed to do.

And them's my 2 cents on THAT.

So. I'm off.

Labels: ,

i so understand what you mean. i teach graduate school and couldn't be happier. there's no way i could teach at the primary and secondary school levels.
i hope the level 5 works out for you. i'll send good thoughts your way.
i guess little wendol might as well buck up cuz the suck up won't work? you crack me up even when it IS such a serious issue!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health