« Home | Hate the State » | If you're hot, you're hormonal. » | Owwwwwwwww. » | We always suspected she was a bit off, and now this. » | Twilight Zone » | Oh Hail, Ann Ate the Universe » | Bedtime Story » | Ultrasound » | Basketcase » | Shop your blues away. » 

Thursday, March 20, 2008 

Writing on the Wall

As I said before, yesterday when we finally got back on our regular class schedule after the 5 hours of testing it was 5th period. As the darlings were filing into the classroom, I got caught up outside the doorway with an assistant principal, so I didn't get to close the door right as the bell rang, smile at the class, and then stand there silently while the kids remember that the bell ringer is the next step, as is my custom. No, I came in a few minutes behind them. When I did, I noticed that the entire class was huddled around a desk in the back of the room. At first I thought someone might have something interesting. By interesting I mean probably illegal. My first instinct was to shoosh them to their places, but thankfully I realized they weren't looking down at an item-- they were all looking up at the wall.

They were looking at my brand new "Top Students" wall. It was kinda sweet. Now I know that most teachers do something like this from the get go, but I have never gotten around to it until recently. I finally hung a big sheet of paper on the wall, put a cute little border around it, and wrote the names of kids with the highest term averages onto little apples and taped them to the sheet. There's also a list of "Big Improvements" at the bottom. Those are kids who didn't really qualify as "Top Students" but who brought their grades up significantly from 2nd term to 3rd.

There were 12 top students and about 8 big improvements. They were so proud it almost brought a tear to my hormonal eye. I'm talking hugs and high-fives proud. One kid said, "I can't wait to tell my momma I got my name on the wall. She ain't even gone believe that!" You could see the envy in the eyes of those who have not given a damn and normally like to pretend not to care about such juvenile things as having their name written on an apple on the wall.

WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS 18 WEEKS AGO!? The kids even told me a long time ago that a "Wall of Fame" was something they would like to see in the classroom, and I promised it. But...but...well I'm kinda lazy and overwhelmed and it did take quite a bit of time to make the "wall," then do the math to figure out who deserved an apple. It's been one of several things that could've been done in one afternoon of staying late, but kept getting put off. From now on this will have to be done consistently.

Next year the wall will already be in place on day one. It rocks to see them feeling proud of themselves. Maybe it will be something they'll work towards.

So many kids get no encouragement at home - they're like puppies that have been kicked around - and then their parents wonder why they're so messed up as they grow.

Those kids will probably try hard to make that wall.

I, too, have a Wall of Fame. I have been hanging the highest test scores in each subject, and leaving them up throughout the year.

I like your 'Big Improvements'. That is something I will steal for Hillmombaland.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health