« Home | Turnover. And I don't mean fruit. » | Stupid Cats and Salesmen » | Five-hundred-dollar elephants » | Shaky » | Blog post about blogging » | Nothing Like the Real Thing » | Breeders » | The cafeteria lady is trying to poison me. » | Countdowns » | Random Thought Whenever: Dogs, carcasses, and cat... » 

Friday, April 25, 2008 

Bedroom Shuffle, Expensive Things Come in Threes, School Day Countdown

There are three bedrooms in this house, and I can't decide which one to make a nursery out of. I do have the urge to nest, don't get me wrong, but in the back of my mind I kinda think nurseries are stupid. I mean, is the baby really gonna stay in one room every night, or is it more likely that I'll have one of those rolling bassinet things and try to keep him/her near me for a while? And does the kid care what his/her room looks like?

Now that we bought a new bed, the two extra bedrooms have queen size beds in them. We also have three dressers-- a big one my mom gave me, which is looking rough, and two pieces of what I like to call Tim's bachelor furniture. They're small, and one of them came from the unfinished furniture place. (I plan to finish that one and make it Little Wendol's.) So if you have a queen bed, a dresser, and a nightstand in a bedroom, can it still be a nursery? We're not talking about huge rooms here. My husband is not a mansion building hillbilly, and I've come to accept that. Sorta. Anyway the front bedroom is actually kinda small now that I'm sitting in it with all the furniture. It reminds me of my room at my parents' house, sorta. It's the front bedroom, and the smallest. But it doesn't suck like my room at home because the bathroom (and rest of the house, including kitchen and living room) is not right outside the door. It has the three things I just mentioned, plus my cedar trunk and a little stand with a record player and some records. So it's kinda full. It might work as a baby room if I move the cedar trunk to another room, but I like the cedar trunk. It smells good, and my uncle from Missouri made it for me when I was 16. I didn't get it until I was in my 20's though because nobody with a vehicle large enough to load it would go up there and get it for me. When it finally got moved down here it stayed at my mom's house, where she stored quilts in it, until about three months ago. So I really didn't get it until then.

The second bedroom will have more room once I arrange it correctly, and it's bigger. But it's the one I stripped the wallpaper out of and painted about a year ago. That color? Let's just say everyone makes mistakes and leave it at that, shall we? I think it would've been okay in a different room, maybe, but that room is toward the back, on the northeast side where the sun comes through early in the morning but no other time, and there are lots of trees outside the window. No sunlight gets in. It's dahk. Dahk and cool. That's why Tim likes to sleep in there. Cause he's a bat. If I could paint the room a lighter color, it would be the nursery, but I don't want to paint it and Tim grimaces every time I mention paying my paintbrush slinging friend to do it. She charged $200 to do our bedroom, but she had to do lots of prep work in that room. I'm thinking she oughta do this room for $150. There's no prep work. She could just slap the paint up and be done. It would take her a day whereas it would take me three, raise my blood pressure, and probably not look as good. Plus I'd inhale fumes and Little Wendol would get high. I don't want my kids to get high until they're at least 15. That's when Mommy started.

Anyway today I have to be ready to leave for work almost an hour earlier than normal because I have to drive Tim to pick up his truck from one shop, take it to another shop on the other side of town, and then drive him home. Thank goodness gas is only $3.57 a gallon.

Everything expensive happens at once around here. I haven't even mentioned the toilet crisis, have I? One toilet has to be replaced, and the other has to be worked on by a plumber because I tried to fix it and failed miserably. The truck's radiator has to be replaced, and Tim decided now is the perfect time to fix the a/c, which is gonna be $850. We just spent several thousand dollars on new furniture. A carpenter has been hired to fix some problems with the back of the house and the shop, at the cost of a couple grand. Let's see...what else? Oh yeah there's a baby on the way so we already owe the hospital a cheekload of nuts, and that's just the beginning of what they're gonna want. They won't even let you go to deliver if you haven't paid something like $500. I guess if you go into labor and show up they sew it shut until you can come up with the cash. That or turn you away and make you go to the county hospital, where they don't make you pay up front and the Mexicans and other non-taxpayers get all the free health care they want.

Three weeks of school left, and then I'll be one step closer to achieving my dream of doing nothing. Of course, the kids might finish me off before then. It's been rough. The sunshine and warm weather have that effect on them. I haven't been called a fat white rabbit fucker yet, but I have been called a bitch once and told to fuck off twice.

Teaching. A rewarding career. Uh huh.

Thank the Gummi Mary you're getting that Bush tax rebate!

Our kids are nuts, too. I wrote up my second student of the year. That makes one senior and one junior. You'd think that when I tell a kid to stop making 3 Stooges noises, he would get the message. And when I told him to get rid of the BBs he was carrying around, he 'dropped' some on the floor. But what REALLY set me off was when he argued that 'insubordination' only means 'refusing to do your work' instead of 'refusing to follow the reasonable instructions of a teacher'. His last mistake was telling me that yes, he DID think he needed the principal to explain 'insubordination' for him.

Mrs. Hillbilly Mom: going to the ends of the earth to improve her students' vocabulary & understanding of the student handbook.

Thanks for sharing the information regarding the nursery.. I read your experience and I really feel great about it.. I will definitely look forward to other post..

Every mom really didn't want to be separated in their baby. That is normal.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health