« Home | The Hot Dog Man Cometh » | Goodnight Nurse » | State Test » | Quickie in the A.M. » | Routine Changes » | Son of a Bitch » | Morning of a Thousand Assholes » | I Dream of Weenie » | Coffee Blues » | DeadpanAnn Gets Knocked Up » 

Friday, March 07, 2008 

Yes, Virginia, there ARE stupid questions.

One more day, and then it's Spring Break. We are out all next week, then there are two months left. The school year IS almost over!

I have really had to crack the whip on some of my students lately. They come into my classroom and act like they don't know the first thing to do. You'd think it was the first few weeks of school. Yesterday one of them asked me if she could use an ink pen. What? What kind of question is that? A stupid one-- that's what kind! That's the sort of thing that is talked about in August. I just looked at her, and the other kids started giggling at her, and then she felt stupid. Maybe she just wanted to hear herself talk?

Another kid came up to me and asked, "Do we need our binders today?" Um. We need our binders every. single. day. There have been about 5 times throughout the year when I met them at the door and told them not to get the binders because we were doing something different and didn't need them. But "Do we need our binders?" still falls under the stupid question category.

They have forgotten what the procedure is when you come to class without a pencil or other materials. First of all, I usually have a few pencils or pens on the chalk tray, and they can grab one as they come in if they need it. If they can't get one there, they're supposed to hustle one without interrupting the class. They can eat an entire bag of Cheetos and drink a raspberry Fanta without getting caught-- I know they can get a pen without getting caught. If all else fails and they have to ask me for one, I give them a pen. And they use it to sign a detention slip. I consider it a class disruption worthy of punishment. Lately they're coming in without stuff more and more, and they'll just sit there like goobers not doing a thing until I look at them, and then they go, "Oh. I ain't got no pencil." Well tough shit, Sherlock!

I guess they're just getting Spring Fever. I'm gonna have to spend a day on rules and procedures when they get back, or else it's gonna be a long stretch to May 23.

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health