« Home | Goodnight Nurse » | State Test » | Quickie in the A.M. » | Routine Changes » | Son of a Bitch » | Morning of a Thousand Assholes » | I Dream of Weenie » | Coffee Blues » | DeadpanAnn Gets Knocked Up » | I've got a big fat juicy secret. » 

Thursday, March 06, 2008 

The Hot Dog Man Cometh

Did you know there's a real New York City hot dog stand right here in Hattiesburg? A retired NYC cop bought one and sets it up in various places around town. On weekends he's usually outside of a bar downtown when the drunks come out at last call. During the week he sets up in a vacant lot on Broadway Drive until 4:30 p.m.

I had heard that this guy was in town, and the first time I saw the big yellow umbrella out of the corner of my eye, I knew it was him. A hot dog stand kinda stands out in Hattiesburg. The hot dogs are freakin' AWESOME! He sells real New York City hot dogs, which are different from the crappy ones I'm used to, but not as good as the ones at Mr. Beef in Chicago. You can get them with lots of good stuff on them: chili, sauerkraut, onions, barbecued onions, relish, etc.

There's always a line.

The first time I had one, Tim brought them home to me. He got me one with sauerkraut and one with chili. The chili was great, and I didn't care much for the sauerkraut. It was okay, but...naahhh.

Then one day out of the blue I thought about a hot dog with sauerkraut, and it sounded delicious. I had to have one immediately. I was at the bank in Petal when the urge hit me, and I drove all the way to Broadway Drive in Hattiesburg to see if he was there. I didn't think he would be because it was raining lightly that day, but he was. And there was a line, as usual, even in the rain.

I stood in the line and got two hot dogs with sauerkraut and mustard and mayo. I ate them as soon as I got in the car, and wished I could have another one. Later I was in Wal Mart-- the big Wal Mart out on 98 where they have lots of stuff, unlike the one in Petal-- and I saw a bag of sauerkraut in the cooler section near the hot dogs. I bought some, and started putting it on everything from hot dogs to lima beans.

Two days later I found out I was pregnant. It didn't take nearly that long for me to find out that sauerkraut causes vicious, skin-peeling farts.

I haven't had any hot dogs since I found out I'm knocked up because I read that they've been linked to some kind of food poisoning of fetuses or something, even if they're heated up. (Okay, I did buy some of those kosher Hebrew National hot dogs that are supposed to have no spare parts in them, and I heated them way too much and put a ton of sauerkraut on them. The sauerkraut alone should be able to kill anything dangerous, dontcha think?)

My sauerkraut obsession seems to have passed for now. If I could eat a hot dog without feeling guilty, I'd still be addicted. But it's just not as good on other foods.

I love the hot dog man and I don't even like hot dogs. But my husband wanted to try it so I did and now we have them once a week for lunch, not very healthy but very good. He told him yesterday that he was probably not goong to keep being outside the Hippo because he was not making enough money but that he might start being out on Broadway during the day on Saturday's.

Also, I love sauerkraut on corn beef sandwiches, like a Rueben but I leave off the thouasand island dressing.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health