« Home | Diet Feet » | Sweet » | They. Need. Parents. » | I didn't know feet could hurt this bad » | It Only Hurts the First Time » | cheap Chinese plastic crap » | Update » | 3 in 1: Comments on Work, a Note About the Bridge... » | Bureaucratic Kudzu » | Cleanin out my closet » 

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 

Can I get a witness?

Today was better. The bad class has completely changed overnight, thanks to a crafty counselor. Notorious B.A.D. was withdrawn from school and enrolled at a private school, so she's gone. Three of the other troublemakers from that class have had their schedules changed. One of them is still mine, but now comes during a different period where she'll be less motivated to give me hell. They were just trying to break up the crew that was working together to make things difficult. The six or eight of them have had lots of classes together throughout the day, and I wasn't the only teacher who was having issues.

Something very strange is happening to me at work. Remember how I said there are people who walk through my class at various times during the day? Well, I've noticed that they only seem to show up when something is happening that makes me look bad, or makes it seem like we're not doing as much as I know we're doing. Sometimes the unwanted situation was already happening before they walked in, and sometimes it begins to unfold upon the visitor's arrival.

For example, today there were two small assemblies. The girls went during 6th period, and the boys went during 7th. Teachers didn't have to go, and I think the administration just basically wanted to have a chance to meet with the kids and tell them what's expected. First of all, I couldn't teach my lessons during either period because I only had a small part of my class present. So I had to find semi-fun things for the remaining kids to do. (I made them alphabetize the books in the class library!) Secondly, as any teacher or school employee knows, an assembly throws off the rest of the day. The kids don't leave an assembly of any sort, go back to class, and resume acting like normal people. I don't care what age group you're talking about-- they come out pumped. Pep rally or a prayer meeting-- it doesn't matter. They're coming out pumped.

Soooooo a certain visitor happens to come by my classroom as my children are waiting to be dismissed for the day. The normal procedure is for them to line up in front of the door and wait for our hall to be dismissed. Then we walk in a straight line to the bus area, and I wait there until they're loaded and gone. But they'd just returned from an assembly, and everyone was kinda out of line a little and talking more than usual, and here comes Ms. Visitor.

Why can't someone come in when I'm having a Great Teacher moment?

Maybe it's not as bad as I'm making it sound. Lots of people have come through while the kids were working diligently. I don't think anyone has witnessed me having a Great Teacher moment. That's a moment where I'm just on it. I'm explaining something, or whatever, and I'm just on it. Things are clickin', and the kids are gettin' it. This is the opposite of when I explain something and everyone goes, "Huh?" and I have to re-explain it because whatever I said the first time didn't make sense to them. That happens plenty-- especially when I've just finished dealing with some kind of distraction, or when someone is watching and I become self conscious and start trying too hard. BUT SO DO GREAT TEACHER MOMENTS, DAMMIT!

I just need a witness.

Nah, it's Murphy's Law. Nobody ever shows up for the "ah-hah" moment, always the "oh, shit!" one.

Maybe one of your troublemakers is behind it.........

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health