« Home | Merry Christmas, y'all » | Charlie's First Christmas » | A trip. » | We are not irrelevant. » | Tale of the Lazy Yard Boy » | I can't think of a title for this that doesn't sou... » | Talkin' » | Nightmare in the Morning » | GOLD! » | File under "General Bitchery" » 

Saturday, December 27, 2008 

Charlie's got a lumpy head

Charlie's head is starting to freak us out. For a while, I've been noticing a flat spot on one side. He always turns his head to the right, and he sleeps on the right side of his head. Yes, I've tried turning him onto his left side, but he still turns his head around to the right. He can turn his head to the left, but he never turns it all the way. I'm worried that there's something wrong with his neck and it's keeping him from turning it to the left. I noticed this when he was teeny tiny, but only recently started worrying about it when I realized that it was making his head flat. Now, in addition to the flat spot on the right side of his head, I see that the front of his head has sort of a bulge on it on the right side. It's like his right side of his forehead pokes out a little more than the left, like he has screwed it up from sleeping on that side.

I've started propping him up when he sleeps to force him off of that side of his head, so maybe it'll go back to normal. I don't want my kid's head to be screwed up.

Call the pediatrician and ask about Torticolis (spelling?). It's what happens when a kid sleeps mostly on one side, they get a flattening and muscle weakness. Some kids (like my nephew) end up wearing a helmet for a while to force the bones to grow correctly. Fun never ends being a mommy!

I read something online earlier that described exactly what I see happening with him. It said that changing their position is usually enough to make the head shape go back to normal, but I'm still concerned about his neck.

His next appointment is the 7th of January. I'm not sure if I'm going to call them Monday, or just wait until the appointment. I doubt they would work me in earlier for something like this.

Oh, I can't let this one pass. You KNOW you're going to screw your kid's head up in oh, so many other ways.

And, even if you don't, mommy always gets the blame. :-)

I don't suppose your insurance would spring for a phrenologist...

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health