« Home | Shoo fly! » | Truth » | Behold! » | Back to the Basement » | Coupled. » | Cleaning my house, covering my ass, and taunting t... » | Worst. Commercial. Ever. » | I'm on empty » | Five Things I Want My Kids to Know (before they gr... » | Off Guard » 

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 

Hot Weather, Guns and Religion, and Pick up Trucks

Every year, I get great enjoyment out of watching the entire country freak out over the heat during this time of year. It's as if the beginning of summer catches everyone off guard every single year. "It's June, it's hot, WHO SAW THAT COMING!?" The best part is watching shows like Good Morning America, where they're standing in New York bitching about the heat. SHUT UP! You're at the top of the country! Yes, I know it does get hot up there in the summer, but they're the LAST ones to get it. They should be the last ones to bitch about it.

Ever been to Texas? THAT is heat. It wasn't even humid-- it just felt like the sun was four feet from the top of your head. It's preferable to being in a really humid place where you can't breathe, but still the only time in my life I've wondered if the sun would set my hair on fire. So shut up, New York. You ain't got it that bad.

I heard on the news this morning that Mississippians spend a higher percentage of their income on fuel than most other states because there's zero public transportation and they drive such long distances between work and home-- or work and everywhere. I'm sure the same is true in other rural areas. I'm glad I only live 9 miles from work. When I lived in Yazoo Shitty, I was driving 42 miles each way to work, and knew a lot of people who had even farther to go. It was about 15 miles from my cabin to the nearest grocery store. Oh, and this is compounded by the fact that almost everyone drives a truck, and trucks don't exactly get great fuel economy. The man always has a way to keep the working guy on his butt. Sure, there are probably more things people can do, like not driving those trucks to work, but I don't want to live in a world where Mississippians are known for their tiny cars. As NObama recently pointed out, we have so little to cling to. Don't take our trucks.

I managed to get out of bed before noon today, thanks to Tim. He's working an extra shift at some other pharmacy, and had to get up at 6:30. The sound of his voice begging me to get up and fix his lunch was hard on my sleepy ears this morning, but I'm glad I got up. Just think of all the tv shows I can watch work I can get done around the house.

Who gets up to make YOUR lunch when you're working those long hours during the school year, and cooking and cleaning and doing laundry and the yardwork?

Oops! You rely on that crazy cafeteria lady.

Damn right!!!!!! He says it's easier to get up early when he doesn't have to do it alone. He actually feels less pain when he knows I'm feeling it with him, which if you think about it means my pain brings him joy.

Damn. I need to quit thinking about it or I'm gonna be pissed at him when he walks in the door tonight.

Now if you REALLY want some heat, come west. In Northern California we regularly get 20+ days of over 105 degrees. It's a dry heat, very low humidity, but it gets BLISTERING hot here. And yeah, we complain about it, too.

3 more days till school's out. Rah.

Make the lunch the night before so you can sleep in! Enjoy it, fall will be here soon enough!

Don't you wonder how the poor babies survived to adulthood? From mama to wife, I guess.

Have you ever noticed that they can't manage to hear the alarm clock, either? Be prepared, Miss Ann. He won't hear the baby cry in the night, either.

Ellen, Glad to hear you're finally free. And you're right-- I should plan ahead more.

DamnYank, Welcome back, stranger! He wasn't nearly this incapable before we got married. He did dishes, took out the trash, and cleaned up occasionally. Now I guess he thinks it's my job.

He hears his alarm clock ALL FORTY SEVEN TIMES after he resets it, starting at 7 and ending at 9:30. He doesn't hear the dogs when they start whining to be let out, but he WILL be doing his fair share of ass wiping when the baby gets here. Trust me.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health