« Home | Stinky-poo gets a tooth » | Douchebag of the Month-- January » | Silly Face » | Doctors. They're assholes. » | My Tough Cookie » | Guess who. » | The Great Escape » | New Momma Blues » | Yankee Racist » | Random Thought WTFEVER » 

Friday, February 06, 2009 

Escaping it all = not worth the trouble.

Earlier in the week, Tim's sister told us for about the fiftieth time that she would love to keep Charlie sometime, and to just let her know if we ever needed a break. After the last time she said this, I told Tim to take her up on it next time she offered, so he did, and she agreed. She lives 50 miles north of here, and Jackson is only 80 miles north of here, so we planned to drop him off with her and spend some time in Jackson. We didn't particularly want to go to Jackson, but we do want to be Charlie-free for a few hours, so...

Anyway, a friend of mine from work has a daughter who turns 1 tomorrow, and she's having a little birthday party. We were invited weeks ago. I not only agreed to be there, but I said I would bring a veggie tray so the adults would have something to munch on. I'm committed. It starts at 11:00 a.m.

I also have an appointment with the photographer at 9:00 to view Charlie's portraits and place my order.

I also ordered a piece of furniture from Haverty's last week, and have to pick it up tomorrow. (It's just a nightstand; I wasn't paying $80 for delivery.)

I had forgotten all about the baby's birthday party tomorrow. I spent all day today wondering how I was going to try to get the nightstand and make it to the photographer's and still get out of Hattiesburg before noon. Then my friend called me, and I remembered the party. When Tim got home from work, I told him one of us had to go to Wal Mart and get a veggie tray for the birthday party, and that I thought he should stay with Charlie while I go to the photographer's, and he should go get the nightstand while I'm at the party with Charlie.

It suddenly hit us that our "day away" wasn't going to start until the afternoon and that we were going to have to cram everything into the morning hours to make it work.

The whole point was to get away for a few hours, and now we're having to juggle four or five different things to make it happen. We're going to end up spending at least 4 hours driving before it's done, and we don't even know what the hell we're going to do up there. Go out to eat? Go to a movie? It sucks that we have to drive the hour to her house, drop him off, then drive another hour to Jackson-- then turn around and repeat it a few hours later-- just to go to a damn movie or restaurant when we live in a place that has lots of restaurants and a gigantic movie theater. It doesn't matter what we decide to do because we're probably going to hate each other by the time we get to Jackson anyway. We'll be stressed out from rushing around in the morning, and then be locked in a car together for close to two hours. History has proven again and again that this has one guaranteed result: Me saying something snappy to him, and him sulking about it for the rest of the day.

Tim suggested we cancel, then changed his mind after realizing that his sister has probably been looking forward to seeing Charlie all week, and believe me, she has. So that's what my day looks like tomorrow. I'm bending over backwards to get away from it all.

I can not sigh heavily enough to adequately convey my complete and utter dissatisfaction with how this fabulous plan is unfolding.

It's really been hitting me lately how isolated we actually are from the people around us. My sister has tons of friends who she can call to come watch her kids at the drop of a hat. I have lots of acquaintances so I rarely feel lonely, but I have no close friends, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable asking them to keep him if I did. I've always been a bit of a loner, and now that I'm analyzing myself I think maybe I keep people distant from me because I'm afraid I'm going to inconvenience them or something. Now that Charlie's here, I really need a better support system.

Your singing my song. We were in CA with no realtives or friends nearby. I can count on one hand how many times we went out and left the kids with someone. We did find a couple that Dan worked with that had kids just about the same age as our boys and we would get together. I hope it all works out and you guys can have at least a couple of hours of fun together. I bet the pictures turned out really cute! Hope your going to post them for us to see :)

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health