« Home | New Momma Blues » | Yankee Racist » | Random Thought WTFEVER » | Random Thought Whenever » | Ann's Politically Incorrect Kitchen Cleaning Project » | Charlie's Stats » | Bitch, meet 'Tard. 'Tard, Bitch. » | Chatter » | Breastmilk Haiku » | Nothing changes on New Year's Day » 

Friday, January 23, 2009 

The Great Escape

My parents called Sunday night and said they wanted to come visit. Normally when they call and say they want to come visit, a few weeks go by before it actually happens, but not this time. They got here Tuesday. (It would've been Monday if my dad hadn't been procrastinating.) So since Tuesday, I've only done about half the amount of Mommy work that I normally do, thanks to my mom. She even got up and took care of the middle-of-the-night feeding Wednesday night. I felt guilty though, and couldn't sleep, and still woke up when he did, so I may as well have just done it myself. That pretty much sums up how I feel anytime someone does something Charlie-related for me: I should've just done it myself.

Tim and I went to the movies yesterday for the first time in months. We saw Gran Torino. The acting left something to be desired-- especially the Asian characters. Clint Eastwood's character was over the top, and there was a lot of watching him talk to himself and growl at kids for getting on his lawn. It was also sprinkled with a liberal amount of racial epithets. Old fashioned ones, too, like "gooks" and "spooks." But overall it was a good movie. The story was good. I give it a thumbs up.

We went to the 2:20 showing, so we were out at 4:20. We had planned to go eat somewhere before going home, but we weren't hungry yet, so we went to Best Buy to look at televisions. We're looking for a 42 or 47 inch LCD, and are zeroing in on a specific Samsung. The Circuit City here is going out of business, so we were thinking we'd buy one there, but their "going out of business sale" is a joke so far. We were thinking it'd be nice to watch the Super Bowl on a new tv, but it's looking like it'll be longer before we get one. We did get a good deal on a stand with a swivel thing on it.

After tv shopping we did go eat. It was disappointing, but only because we weren't really in the mood for it and only went because we hadn't had the chance in months and might not get another opportunity for a while. This was the first time we've left the house together without Charlie since he was born. What we really wanted to do was have some we're-finally-alone sex, but we're too cheap to get a hotel room that we're only going to use for a few hours. And we figured my parents might catch on if we came home still hungry with our eyes glazed over and our clothes and hair all ruffled.

Charlie's been fussy lately. I've finally weaned him off breastmilk and he's on formula 100% as of today. It's been a gradual transition, so I don't think the formula is what's got him fussy. It could be, but he's been on it for a long time now, just in smaller amounts, and he was still getting some breastmilk. I don't know what the deal is. He's been on this weird sleeping and eating schedule too. He wants to eat way too often, and he stopped sleeping through most of the night. After about three weeks of only getting up once (and sometimes not getting up at all) he's back to getting up twice. I'm too tired to obsess and worry over it. He'll go back to normal soon enough I guess. Things tend not to stay the same with him for long.

I'm pretty sure that having my mom here to spoil him didn't help things, but it was worth it just to get away for a few hours.

How old is Charlie now? Strange eating and sleeping schedules sounds like a growth spurt to me. They happen at 3's and 6's (3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 mos, 6 mos), and both my kids would suddenly and for no apparent reason CHANGE everything about their eating and sleeping habits. The good news is it goes away after a bit.

Yeah, he's 3 months tomorrow. We went through it at 3 weeks and 6 weeks. This is the worst so far.

it does get better, i promise. I felt either guilty or slightly resentful if someone got up with my son for me or "helped" also.

I meant the sleeping and eating get better. Sorry. Ellie is right about the growth spurts and my son had sleeping and fussing periods whenever he hit a milestone, from breast to bottle, bottle to sippy, etc. It did not matter how slow I weaned him off. Hang in there.

He seems to be a little better today.

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health