« Home | Bitch, meet 'Tard. 'Tard, Bitch. » | Chatter » | Breastmilk Haiku » | Nothing changes on New Year's Day » | There's no justice in the world! » | Charlie loves the ceiling fan » | Charlie's got a lumpy head » | Merry Christmas, y'all » | Charlie's First Christmas » | A trip. » 

Thursday, January 08, 2009 

Charlie's Stats

Yesterday was Charlie's 2 month checkup. He weighs 14 lbs and 4 oz. No kiddin'. He's 24 inches long. The doc said that places him in the 95th percentile for weight, and the 90th for height.

Everything else was perfect. He has cradle cap pretty bad, and I found out how to treat it, which is good because it's really gross. He also may have a touch of torticolis, but the doc said that IF he does have it, it's very mild. He's going to be evaluated by a physical therapist Monday morning just in case. They'll probably just give us some exercises to do at home.

He got his first round of vaccinations, which included 3 shots and an oral vaccine. He sucked down the oral one without a problem. Then the nurse was talking to him and he was cooing and smiling at her, and then she committed the ultimate betrayal and he lost his shit. It was awful. I've never heard him scream like that. He started screaming on shot number one and it killed me that she had to pop him not once more, but twice. It obviously hurt pretty badly, and I teared up a little. After it was over and I picked him up, he just buried his face on my chest and cried and cried. After a few minutes, he got over it, and has been fine ever since. He's a little fussy and more tired than usual, but that's about it.

When my daughter was a baby, one of her tear ducts was stopped up and I had to help them hold her down while they tried to open it. They sedated her and wrapped her in a sheet so she couldn't move while they were trying to open it up. I was fine while they were doing it, but after it was over, I started shaking and crying. I just felt like I was betraying her or something. Our urge is always to protect them from being hurt, and it's just hard to knowingly let someone do something that will cause them pain.

Oh, and just so you know, that instinct never goes away.

I managed not to cry. Once the nurse finished and started talking to me, I pulled it together. After that, I had to gather all the baby paraphernalia and get out of there.

Why was I expecting something more along the lines of his On-base Percentage, Strikeouts, or RBIs or something?

Obviously, he's not ready for sports... Opening Day is still three months away. Duh!

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health