« Home | Test Duty » | The Babysitter » | Think. THEN vote. » | Something Finally Revolves Around ME » | Insomniac on Duty » | Nerves. » | Teachers Who Blog » | Poem » | Tired of being tired » | I hate everyone. » 

Friday, October 17, 2008 

Big Boy's Impending Arrival, and Momma's Less Than Enlightened Friends

The doctor said I'm soon to be "between a rock and a hard place." Today marks the end of the 38th week of my pregnancy, and according to this morning's ultrasound, the baby weighs 8 lbs 4 oz NOW. I'm not even due for 2 weeks, and he should gain about a pound between now and then. My body has done none of the things that typically indicate that labor is approaching, so inducing right now is out of the question because it would almost certainly end in a c-section. He said "9 pound babies happen all the time" and he's sure I can deliver him as long as he doesn't get much bigger than that.

On the way home from work today, I texted a friend of mine and told her what they said the baby weighs. She responded, "Damn. You're gonna be stretched out."

What the hell? Is it just me, or is that THE worst thing she could've said? Really. It has to be THE worst possible response, not to mention untrue and just plain...trashy. How many synapses have to NOT fire in someone's head for them to utter something so damn thoughtless and ignorant?

This comment came from the same friend who believes that drinking unchecked amounts of caffeine, ignoring your diet, and smoking (cigarettes and pot) during pregnancy are all safe, but that lifting your arms above your head will wrap the cord around the baby's neck and choke it to death in the womb. When she made this comment, I tried to consider the source but couldn't help but get a little pissed off anyway. At first I thought maybe I should just not tell anyone else what they said about the baby's size if this was the kind of response I could expect, but then I decided to bitch about the comment instead.

So kiss my ass, haters and ignoramuses! My vagina's future is bright!

One good thing that came from this morning's appointment was that I realized my doctor is willing to do whatever I tell him I want to do. He said, "I'm here to do whatever you want, within reason." He went on to say that if I wanted to try to induce now, we could, but that he thought it would result in me being in the hospital for two days making little to no progress and ending up with a c-section. Then he said he thinks it's best to wait and see what happens in the next week or two. I agreed, but I take a lot of comfort in knowing that if it gets unbearably uncomfortable or goes on too long, all I have to do is speak up, and it'll be over one way or another.

The doctor told my daughter the same thing - the baby was going to be BIG if carried to term. She ended up having to have a C-section just a couple of weeks before her due date, and he was just under seven pounds - not the gigantic child they were telling her she was growing. Doctors aren't infallable, they just make an educated guess. Not that THEY would ever admit that. The whole God complex they all seem to have, you know.

Sounds like you have a great Dr!! Don't listen to what people tell you about what is going to happen... I think your friend has a screw loose somewhere but she probably didn't intend to insult you or make you mad. My mom used to tell me to "consider the source" when I would tell her of things people said or did that was out of line.

I am excited and happy for you :) Your life is about to change in ways you only THINK you are prepared for - it is awesome!

It's friends like that who make me think, "Okay, maybe abortion should be legal, required in some cases."

Forget what she said, I had four eight pounders, one closer to nine. I've heard no complaints from the peanut gallery.

DY, I've heard countless stories like that. I'd love to be one of them!

Julie, I was very relieved to learn that he would do what I wanted, and agree it makes him awesome. Anyone who wants to do what I want to do is awesome. As for the "life's about to change" stuff, I'm still apprehensive.

Anon, Yes, and they are the ones who seem to breed the most, aren't they?

My husband's family is full of big (and I mean BIG) babies. My sister-in-law was 10 pounds 11 ounces when she was born. She was the largest out of the three kids...my husband was the smallest at 9 pounds, 3 ounces. My other sister-in-law has 3 kids, with the smallest at birth being around 8 1/2 pounds and the largest being 10 pounds, 1 ounce. All delivered vaginally. And from what I hear, like Anon, there are no complaints from the gallery. :)

Post a Comment

DeadpanAnn (old blogger version) is powered by Blogspot and Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health